Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I always wanted an ED frac... but is this genuine?

I believe this scope does have an ED lens element - probably a chinese equivalent of FPL-51. It's focal ratio means that it will still show quite a bit of chromatic aberration though. So it might be better in this respect than some achromats of this spec but not by any means colour free apart from at low powers hence the description as a rich field scope.

On 19/01/2018 at 15:56, Lockie said:

When these were first released I saw a test vs the ST80, and this particular Bresser came out worse. f/4.5 is just too tough an ask, they should have made it f/6 and it might have been half decent. 

They used to make an f6.6 version, I have one but it is branded Opticstar; this was before Bresser got involved. It got a much better review that the shorter version. Also there are a lot of plastic parts.

Opticstar 102 F6.6 scope

On 1/19/2018 at 15:41, Ags said:

Dear Agnes,

thank you for your interest in our products and your request.

The AR 102/460 has two ED ( Extra low Dispersion) lense elements.

The specifications of this glass material is not available. We can confirm that the ED glass material is not high-end but excellently fulfills the needs for Deep-Sky rich-field observations and astrophotography with a very short focal length at a most acceptable minimum of color error in this price range. Therefore we saw no reason to highlight this ED glass with specs.

Here you can find a positive discussion in CN :

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/572885-new-telescope-bresser-messier-ar-102-f45/page-9

Please also have a look at one picture of M13 which was made with a AR 102XS here :https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/BRESSER-Messier-AR-102xs-460-Hexafoc-Optical-Tube.html?listtype=search&searchparam=4802460

For further questions please let me know.

Best regards

Primoz

I got the above reply from Bresser.

If you really want a genuine ED100 scope, Agnes, for around that price you could get a used Skywatcher or Celestron ED100 F9.

Superb scope for the money, great optics and very lightweight. I have owned both and rates them highly. And they are worth upgrading the focuser later on (easy 3 bolt switch) if you like it.

You could try putting a wanted ad on UKAstrobuysell?

Good luck☺

Dave

41 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

If you really want a genuine ED100 scope, Agnes, for around that price you could get a Skywatcher or Celestron ED100 F9.

Superb scope for the money, great optics and very lightweight. I have owned both and rates them highly. And they are worth upgrading the focuser later on (easy 3 bolt switch) if you like it.

You could try putting a wanted ad on UKAstrobuysell?

Good luck☺

Dave

+1 I've owned a C100ED and they have crazy good optics for the money. The focuser is terrible for visual, but good for imaging as it's so stiff if stays put, same with the C80ED, I've had one of those too. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think you are being optimistic about the price of a 100ED - over £700 rather than about 300 euro...

I meant of course a used example..thanks for pointing out my error, I've edited it now☺. But I myself bought a Celestron ED100 used for £200, with excellent optics.

Dave

Dave

Actually, I'm looking at the RFT end of the frac spectrum, such as ST102 and similar. I was just surprised to find an even faster scope in the same price bracket that claimed ED glass. I was intrigued, but the review posted above is pretty devastating.

On 25/01/2018 at 23:23, F15Rules said:

I meant of course a used example..thanks for pointing out my error, I've edited it now☺. But I myself bought a Celestron ED100 used for £200, with excellent optics.

Dave

Dave

That is a good price! I Think mine was about £280. I did once however pick up a C80ED for £120. The paint was really scratched up as the guy had used it for wild life photography, but it wasn't anything some carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap couldn't fix :)  

6 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

In fairness Chris, it's around 7 years since I bought that ED100 I reckon, so prices may have risen since then☺

Dave

I think it's been over 2 years since I had mine. £280 for a 100mm fpl53 scope is still incredible, I've seen one or two for as little as that recently, real bargain scopes :) 

Archived