SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Tak

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Pig said:

Hey .... first night and first light ? what a beautiful Moon - What a beautiful view - the Leica is in the barrel ?

Doesn't get any better than that Shaun! Great stuff :) 

And it has a green focuser. So with @AstroPhil it shows second run DLs will have green while first run have black. So first are more exclusive from an OE POV. 

However I surprised myself by liking the green, and have ordered a 2nd DL clamp so will have 2 super-rings to go on a dove bar. 

IMG_20180131_190000.jpg

IMG_20180131_190025.jpg

IMG_20180131_190830.jpg

IMG_20180131_191148.jpg

IMG_20180131_191157.jpg

IMG_20180131_191205.jpg

??? x FC100DC
???? x FC100DF
?????x FC100DL
? x FC76DS
? x TSA120
? x TSA102
?? x FS102
? x FS120
??? x FS60CB
? x FSQ85
? x TOA-150B
???x FS128
?? ???x Doberman 

I didn’t realise we were both getting one today ? so is this the final tally..... 26 

28 minutes ago, 25585 said:

And it has a green focuser. So with @AstroPhil it shows second run DLs will have green while first run have black. So first are more exclusive from an OE POV. 

However I surprised myself by liking the green, and have ordered a 2nd DL clamp so will have 2 super-rings to go on a dove bar. 

IMG_20180131_190000.jpg

IMG_20180131_190025.jpg

IMG_20180131_190830.jpg

IMG_20180131_191148.jpg

IMG_20180131_191157.jpg

IMG_20180131_191205.jpg

Very nice - and a proper Tak ....... F/8 or over :evil4::evil4::icon_biggrin:

I have managed a quick look through the scope at the Moon and a few stars..... it is going to clear again later  so I will get the chance again tonight.  I am very impressed .... the Moon looks 3D like it is just hanging there bauble like, there is some great depth to the surroundings. The few stars I managed to see were absolute tac sharp...completely circular..... I am so pleased ? 

9 minutes ago, Pig said:

I have managed a quick look through the scope at the Moon and a few stars..... it is going to clear again later  so I will get the chance again tonight.  I am very impressed .... the Moon looks 3D like it is just hanging there bauble like, there is some great depth to the surroundings. The few stars I managed to see were absolute tac sharp...completely circular..... I am so pleased ? 

Very glad for you Pig. More than my own, I was cheering your Tak on!

Not tonight but I will be comparing my Equinox 100mm F9 with the DL. Ebony & Ivory. 

Then against my 120mm F7.5 Equinox later (Skytee only holds 2 scopes). All 3 are 900mm FL. 

17 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Not tonight but I will be comparing my Equinox 100mm F9 with the DL. Ebony & Ivory. 

Then against my 120mm F7.5 Equinox later (Skytee only holds 2 scopes). All 3 are 900mm FL. 

There were a couple of surreal moments, for eg: I checked my delivery tracking and it said out for delivery, unbeknown to me you must have looked at your tracker at the same time and you said it’s out for delivery .... and I am thinking how does he know where my scope is ? I had no idea you had one on the way.

I had to go get fresh air after my DL arrived, my head was spinning. Biggest single outlay on anything for several years. 

Now I'm just sitting here looking at it in awe and wonder. Also should I sell the 100mm Equinox or not. 

Where should I stick the Telrad base? What ep to use first light? Do I need a Doberman (more likely Bilko)?

39 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I compared a 100ED F/9 to my TSA102 - the Tak won but it was closer than the cost of the scopes would suggest.

120ED F7.5 against your new Tak - hmmmm - that will be interesting.......

14 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I had to go get fresh air after my DL arrived, my head was spinning. Biggest single outlay on anything for several years. 

Now I'm just sitting here looking at it in awe and wonder. Also should I sell the 100mm Equinox or not. 

Where should I stick the Telrad base? What ep to use first light? Do I need a Doberman (more likely Bilko)?

By all means sell the 100mm Equinox, I doubt you'll ever use it!

Telrad! On a Tak!! ?

9 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

By all means sell the 100mm Equinox, I doubt you'll ever use it!

Telrad! On a Tak!! ?

Equinox 100 may serve well as a grab and go, but not so manageable as my TV Genesis. 

I would put a tube protector covering on the Tak before sticking a Telrad base on it. Carbon fibre patches as used on motorcycle tanks to prevent scratching from a rider's leathers etc. 

I tried plus of 175 x mag on Mizar last night just to see how this Tak compared to my other scopes.....the result was two beautifully separated crisp stars that I could have driven a bus between...I am so looking forward to a doubles night ?

My first impressions of the scope are it’s perfect, it’s a lovely scope and the build quality is fantastic..... the clamp and dovetail are extremely solid with zero vibrations experienced at the eyepiece, when using  the above magnification. The focusser is an absolute dream, even when viewing the wonderfully bright full moon we had last night some of the really difficult small craters were as crisp and as perfect as you could want.  I cannot find one single item on the scope where I have thought “that’s a bit shoddy”  I guess at this price point that’s how it should be.

I really will have to buy one of the Nagler zooms soon, magnification does not seem to affect the views through this scope one bit...for now though  the 5mm SLV and the VIP Barlow will have to do for high magnification..... mind you the 2.5mm SLV was very good .... hey who knows ?

Once again thanks for your help and advice guys in helping me choosing the Tak, it has turned out to be one of the wonderful moments that seldom come along in life ..... I wish I had done this years ago ?

You sound really pleased Shaun! :blob9:

If you get chance over the next week to observe the waning moon, I think the FC will send you completely over the edge! Of course, there's a high moon from now on until the end of spring, so you'll have every opportunity over coming lunations to really get to know just how good that lens really is. The difficulty comes when trying to express those views in words! Perhaps we should all get together and create a Tak Users Dictionary!?

Archived