Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Top five astro event wish list for 2018

Phil Fargaze

So, in no particular order, here is my top astro events that would make 2018 a year to remember. For me, 2017 will be remembered for the detection of gravity waves.

1. Huge naked eye comet.

2. Unexpected intense meteor shower.

3. One of the Mars rovers sends back a picture of potential fossil remains on the surface of Mars.

4. Betelgeuse to go supernova.

5. The nature of dark matter and dark energy are explained.

Whats yours?

A geomagnetic storm that sends aurora down to the South coast that can also be seen in Towns (it has happened).

A spectacular comet. 

A Power cut in the surrounding area to cut out the City LP, but not where I am otherwise I won't have power.  This needs to co-incide with clear skies.

Am I wishing too much?  

Carole 

8 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

So, in no particular order, here is my top astro events that would make 2018 a year to remember. For me, 2017 will be remembered for the detection of gravity waves.

1. Huge naked eye comet.

2. Unexpected intense meteor shower.

3. One of the Mars rovers sends back a picture of potential fossil remains on the surface of Mars.

4. Betelgeuse to go supernova.

5. The nature of dark matter and dark energy are explained.

Whats yours?

Betelgeuse go super! Steady on old boy. Orion was the first contellation that I was aware of seeing.I would miss it. Please wait till I'm gone. Choose something else please.

Some nice seeing for the Mars opposition.

Naked eye Comet would be lovely.

Some decent Solar activity despite the minimum.

Capture a ISS transit of the Sun or Moon.

Hopefully capture some cloud features on Venus again.

Failing any of the above to materialise, just some clear skies then!

22 hours ago, JoeP said:

You're no. 2 is known as a meteor storm.

My list:

1. Betelgeuse exploding

2. Meteor storm

3. See collision on moon through telescope

4. See comet tail(s)

5. See supanova in other galaxy

Yes, meteor storm is the proper term. Number three, I guess you mean a meteor strike on the Moon, which is something I strive to observe. I suppose it doesn't have to be Betelgeuse going supernova, (sorry Grumpy Martian)  it could be any other local candidate. I do sometimes spend moments staring at Betelgeuse admiring its red colour and wondering how close it is to going `pop`. However I think clear skies would be a major miracle too, then we could all get on with our hobby in earnest. 2017 felt like the most cloudiest year I can remember!

22 hours ago, carastro said:

A geomagnetic storm that sends aurora down to the South coast that can also be seen in Towns (it has happened).

Yes I remember that happened not too many years ago to a certain degree. I was looking at something else that night to the South, it wasn`t until the next day I found out it if I had looked North I would have seen some activity.

Archived