Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics v Skywatcher!

philsail1

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well it obviously did badly. c'mon Phil i've gotta go bed, get some sleep for a 5am start to watch the F1 quali. I don't think i can take two nail biters in the same 24hrs.

And I thought I was serious about F1. I have never ever got up early to watch quali :laughing2: :laughing2:

I thought the only excitement was the quali? I'm an F1 nut, love it all. And it will be over soon, so i have to get as much as i can. Plus it will hopefully be clear tomorrow morning :undecided:

ok i will let you off because it will clear.

actually come to think of it if you have a setup and image then just leave it running while you watch tv is very nice i have watched whole dvd while imaging though i did stop to check on the weather etc

Here at last are the results of the Zygo test on my Skywatcher Mirror.

10.10.2008 24.09.2008

Zygo Report on Skywatcher 8” Zygo Report on Orion Optics 8”

(203mm) (f5) Mirror (200mm) (f4.5) Mirror

With Hylux Coating.

Wavelength Out:- 632.8 Wavelength Out:- 632.8

Strehl:- 0.966 Strehl:- 0.984

PV. Wavefront:- 0.200 wave PV. Wavefront:- 0.123 wave

rms:- 0.030 wave rms:- 0.020 wave

AstMag:- 0.119 wave AstMag:- 0.043 wave

Barry reported that the Skywatcher mirror initially performed very poorly on the first Zygo test, but on a second test (after allowing mirror to reach ambient temperature of test room), the mirror gave well above average results. On a third “pass” the Skywatcher mirror settled down, and the results dropped a bit. A fourth test gave the result you see above. He said that for a mass produced mirror (made of ordinary glass) the Skywatcher mirror was an excellent product. He said that there is some “astigmatism” in the surface “evenesss” but not so much as to have a detrimental effect in use. He said the mirror would indeed perform almost as well as the Orion under urban skies. Under clear skies with as little light and dust pollution (out in the countryside) he reiterated that the Orion Mirror would prove to be visually superior.

I am happy with the result, and will now “flock the Orion’s tube, and wait for an opportunity to conduct a comparison test under clearer skies.

I will post a photo of the two Zygo reports side by side - when my computer will allow it!

Regards,

philsail1[/]

Hmmm well you have a 1/5th wave mirror there.

my report reads as,

strehl 0.993

pv 0.098

rms 0.013

AstMag 0.036

a point on the Astmag is that it looks very high compared to the rest of the mirror specs and compared to mine and phil's mirrors

Archived