Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12v splitter box for mounting on the scope?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RayD said:

You only really need the linear supplies where you need a nice clean supply, such as mounts and CCD's

Is this really the case? I have 2 CCDs (SX and QSI) which both appear (though I'm expert) to have been supplied with switched-mode PSUs (small, compact power bricks). 

Maybe I could drop in my situation for related feedback :) 

I have a dual-rig set-up that I've been configuring for simultaneous imaging through both scopes and have the following 12Vdc power requirements.

1. SX CCD
  2. QSI CCD
  3. Lakeside focuser on scope 1
  4. Lakeside focuser on scope 2
  5. Dew heater straps, 4 off (CCD1, CCD2, Finder/guider and SX CCD to prevent frost on optical window)
  6. 4-port USB2 hub

So that's nine 12Vdc supplies at the scopes.

In addition, I have a need for six USB ports (2 x CCD, 2 x focuser, 1 x filter wheel and 1 x guide camera).

The mount is powered separately.

I'm looking to minimum cables running up to the scopes, maybe I could keep this down 1 power lead and 1 USB cable? Maybe I could mount a mini-PC on the scope as well to remove the need for a USB cable. Just one 12Vdc power lead to the scopes? Is there a off-the-shelf solution for this?

TIA, Andy

12 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Is this really the case? I have 2 CCDs (SX and QSI) which both appear (though I'm expert) to have been supplied with switched-mode PSUs (small, compact power bricks). 

Maybe I could drop in my situation for related feedback :) 

I have a dual-rig set-up that I've been configuring for simultaneous imaging through both scopes and have the following 12Vdc power requirements.

1. SX CCD
  2. QSI CCD
  3. Lakeside focuser on scope 1
  4. Lakeside focuser on scope 2
  5. Dew heater straps, 4 off (CCD1, CCD2, Finder/guider and SX CCD to prevent frost on optical window)
  6. 4-port USB2 hub

So that's nine 12Vdc supplies at the scopes.

In addition, I have a need for six USB ports (2 x CCD, 2 x focuser, 1 x filter wheel and 1 x guide camera).

The mount is powered separately.

I'm looking to minimum cables running up to the scopes, maybe I could keep this down 1 power lead and 1 USB cable? Maybe I could mount a mini-PC on the scope as well to remove the need for a USB cable. Just one 12Vdc power lead to the scopes? Is there a off-the-shelf solution for this?

TIA, Andy

Most now don't provide a power supply at all, just the leads.  It wouldn't be cost effective to provide a linear supply, so a compact switch-mode will work, but isn't ideal and a linear is better for very sensitive loads.

I use the Pegasus hub which has 6 USB ports but only 4 power.  My Hitech hub has more power outlets but only 3 USB's.

I'm not sure there is an "off the shelf" solution for your requirements, but a combination of items would work.

When I image in Spain I use a mini fanless PC for the USB ports (it has 8) with the MHP on top of the OTA for the power outlets, dew control and focuser.

20170827_194403.jpg

20170827_194433.jpg

3 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Ordered one thanks. Just remembered I have a couple of these dimmers that someone gave me a while back. I suppose I could use them for dew straps?

I would say so.  Looks like a pretty standard PWM unit so should work no problem.

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Will give it a go starting at lowest setting.

I'll start a new thread in DIY 

Thanks for all your help 

Shane

I use those. I had to turn them up pretty high to get them to work. 

Hi All

I decided to buy the Hitec Astro 4 channel dew heater, which also has two 12v outputs, which should serve my needs adequately, in a nice package.  I may need to run 2 power cables to the mount in the future, but after thinking about it, this is acceptable to me.

Thanks for all the input.

21 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi All

I decided to buy the Hitec Astro 4 channel dew heater, which also has two 12v outputs, which should serve my needs adequately, in a nice package.  I may need to run 2 power cables to the mount in the future, but after thinking about it, this is acceptable to me.

Thanks for all the input.

I never noticed that the Hitec Astro has two 12v outputs, so am i right in thinking you have the dew heater connected to your main power supply, then run power from this to your (my mount is an AZEQ6 GT) mount?

31 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

I never noticed that the Hitec Astro has two 12v outputs, so am i right in thinking you have the dew heater connected to your main power supply, then run power from this to your (my mount is an AZEQ6 GT) mount?

Yes it is a handy feature of them. Of course you need to make sure your supply used to the controller is adequate.  There are 2 sockets on the side marked 12V output (or similar).

You would need to replace the plug or get an adaptor for your SW mount lead to plug in to the dew controller.  You would also need to check the size of the plugs as there were 2 types made, one with 5.5 x 2.1mm sockets, and one with 5.5 x 2.5mm sockets.  If yours is the 2.5mm ones (I guess higher capacity) and you only have 2.1mm plugs, then you can use this type of adaptor to make it fit.

57 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

My plan is to now to run mount separately and run 2 cameras off the 12v outputs. But it’ll work fine for the mount too.  

40 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I don't think you need to power the mount from it as the mount power cable doesn't rotate and get tangled or add to the weight of the moving bit.

Dave

I'm after having just one power cable running to my setup, everything else to be powered from either a DC distribuation board (RigRunner or similar) or now the possibility of the Hitec Dew controller. For now, I only need power for Dew controller, mount and mini-pc (im using this to power my canon 700D). So, I'm just a little concerned about protecting the equipment running from the Hitec Dew Controller.

14 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

I'm after having just one power cable running to my setup, everything else to be powered from either a DC distribuation board (RigRunner or similar) or now the possibility of the Hitec Dew controller. For now, I only need power for Dew controller, mount and mini-pc (im using this to power my canon 700D). So, I'm just a little concerned about protecting the equipment running from the Hitec Dew Controller.

I think if you are taking the fuses off the old equipment plugs to use the HA outputs (most cigar type plugs have them in) then I would be inclined to install a simple inline fuse for each.  Very cheap, very simple to install.

These are ideal.

9 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

Jut thought it was better to have a separate cable powering the mount to avoid unnecessary tangles.

I think the Hitec has only one fuse in the cig plug to protect everything.

Dave

Archived