SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

12v splitter box for mounting on the scope?

I've decided a major cable tidy was needed.  To begin with I've mounted my USB hub on the scope.  I'm now thinking about the 12v supplies.  I currently have 2 x dew strap controllers and 2 x cameras running off 12v.  At present my 12v cables are all split at the power supply, and separate cables run in a duct to the pier and up to the cameras etc.  I was thinking about running a single heavier wire up onto the scopes, and then splitting it up there.  Alternatively I could bundle them together but I'd prefer to split at box on the scopes, and then shorten my cables to a custom length to suit.

Any advice welcomed please.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've decided a major cable tidy was needed.  To begin with I've mounted my USB hub on the scope.  I'm now thinking about the 12v supplies.  I currently have 2 x dew strap controllers and 2 x cameras running off 12v.  At present my 12v cables are all split at the power supply, and separate cables run in a duct to the pier and up to the cameras etc.  I was thinking about running a single heavier wire up onto the scopes, and then splitting it up there.  Alternatively I could bundle them together but I'd prefer to split at box on the scopes, and then shorten my cables to a custom length to suit.

Any advice welcomed please.

Yep I'd agree with just that.  Splitting closer to the scopes with shorter lengths is much neater and, whilst it won't make any difference to the performance if your cables are rated correctly, it makes it easier to replace a cable if one becomes problematic.  You can also then correctly fuse each item rather than having a single higher rated fuse.

Have you considered a hub of some sort, like the Hitech or Pegasus?

Thanks guys.  I was thinking that rather than buy an off the shelf solution, I was hoping to make one up.  However, in that link they appear so cheap to buy that it's hardly worth the effort to make one.

What guage of wire should I run up to the box itself?

27 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks guys.  I was thinking that rather than buy an off the shelf solution, I was hoping to make one up.  However, in that link they appear so cheap to buy that it's hardly worth the effort to make one.

What guage of wire should I run up to the box itself?

It largely depends on the length of run. 1.5mm will work fine up to 16A, but for the small difference in cost I would go with 2.5mm which gives you tons of capacity with no worries about voltage drop. I use 3mm double insulated twin cable designed for boats in my obsy and I've had no power issues at all with my dual set up. 

16 minutes ago, RayD said:

It largely depends on the length of run. 1.5mm will work fine up to 16A, but for the small difference in cost I would go with 2.5mm which gives you tons of capacity with no worries about voltage drop. I use 3mm double insulated twin cable designed for boats in my obsy and I've had no power issues at all with my dual set up. 

I have a few different cables in the house, so will have a look.  Length-wise it would be about 3.5m, and my power supply is only rated to 8 amps I think, so 1.5mm should be ok?

Fuses - what is the guidelines for fusing the various pieces of kit

1) dew heater straps

2) Canon DSLR cameras

3) EQ6 mount

Thanks in advance/

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I have a few different cables in the house, so will have a look.  Length-wise it would be about 3.5m, and my power supply is only rated to 8 amps I think, so 1.5mm should be ok?

1) dew heater straps

2) Canon DSLR cameras

3) EQ6 mount

Thanks in advance/

Yes 1.5mm will be absolutely fine. 

This looks really good. I was thinking about using a mains to dc converter like 

www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html 

But from inside the garage/ caravan. This would mean a run up to 20m but max 10a. I presume the 3mm cable would be fine?

This is the one I put together for the E6 Shane.
Buck  Converters 5 Amp, tuned to required output  voltages
A StarTech powered hub. Seven Aviation Connectors to transport power
to The Mount, The usb Hub, Canon DSLR, Atik 314, 4 output Dew controller.
Syn Guider2.   It fitted neatly on to the Mount, making use of the 
3mm screws holding the Drive Belt housing inspection covers in place.
Screws need to be longer than the originals, to compensate for the floor of 
the ABS Box, and a 3mm thick Cork cushion the project board and electronics sit on.
Fuse protected, and colour coded led's for each output. 
Colour coded the USB Outlets and Cables to ensure limiting any driver confusion, although
I don't think WIN 10 is as susceptible to that.

Scope BoxB.jpg

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

This looks really good. I was thinking about using a mains to dc converter like 

www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html 

But from inside the garage/ caravan. This would mean a run up to 20m but max 10a. I presume the 3mm cable would be fine?

20m is quite a way at 12V as the voltage drop is calculated on the return also, so would be 40m total.  At 12V with a 10A load and 3mm cable you would be looking at a 2.28V drop (19%) which is pretty high.  In an ideal world you would look to achieve under 5%, although this is an ideal.

At 8A (the Nevada peak output) over 20m you would need to go up to 6mm cable to get down to around 8%, so I would recommend trying to get a mains supply closer to the mount if possible.

1 minute ago, Moonshane said:

Cheers guys. I need a rethink I reckon. I may run mains to my observing site and create a little shelter for the converter. This would make more sense especially looking at cable costs!

That's ideal I would say.  The Nevada supply is really good for the price (I've used one for quite a while) so if you can house this in a vented enclosure of some sorts it would be perfect.

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

1) dew heater straps

2) Canon DSLR cameras

3) EQ6 mount

Thanks in advance/

Sorry just seen the second part of your question.  The dew strap fusing depends on their size, but in general the ones for your 80mm OTA's are going to be around 1A, so fusing them at 1.5A should be fine.  The camera I'm not sure as I don't know how much current it draws, so maybe someone can help here, but I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of amps.  Finally the mount I believe draws around 1A tracking with around 4A slewing, so would fuse at 5A.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Looks like a really trick piece of kit!  If it is mounted on the RA axis you still need to allow for movement of the dec axis then in the cables?

They will be looped on to the OTA at the Dec axis position, with enough leeway to prevent strain, then routed up to the 
attachments on the business end.:smiley:. I enquired from Flo. as to the possibility of The Lynx type insulations  being eventually introduced
on USB Cables. I think it is under consideration / investigation. 

25 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

I decided to spend a little more and get something really beefy. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QJE-QJ1863-10-12AMP-Linear-Supply/dp/B01KXUIXFU

That looks Identical to the Maplin one Michael. Not the Linear ones though I have two of them. Adequate, and some.
Scott has the same type you've bought.

27 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

I decided to spend a little more and get something really beefy. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QJE-QJ1863-10-12AMP-Linear-Supply/dp/B01KXUIXFU

I refer to my 8A FLO one as my "little" supply as my main one running my hub etc. is a 30A one (bottom), with the little one running just the mount.  Even the big 30A and 40A ones now are actually really reasonably priced.

I like a little bit in reserve :icon_biggrin:

20170820_153500.thumb.jpg.5225b9c0e8211809166f59db1c4fdc99.jpg

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

I refer to my 8A FLO one as my "little" supply as my main one running my hub etc. is a 30A one (bottom), with the little one running just the mount.  Even the big 30A and 40A ones now are actually really reasonably priced.

I like a little bit in reserve :icon_biggrin:

20170820_153500.thumb.jpg.5225b9c0e8211809166f59db1c4fdc99.jpg

I like your work area :headbang:

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I am only looking to power 1.25" eyepiece (x2) and finder bands (telrad plus 50mm finder) so I reckon the smaller unit will be perfect for me.

If that is all you are after, would something like this do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-100-240V-Converter-Adapter-DC-12V-5A-60W-Power-Supply-for-PC-5050-LED-CCTV-IL/263415868811?hash=item3d54cf2d8b:g:5qsAAOSwEOpaIiC7

8 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I am only looking to power 1.25" eyepiece (x2) and finder bands (telrad plus 50mm finder) so I reckon the smaller unit will be perfect for me.

It would be fine.  There are a number of people on here that use the Nevada one from FLO and I haven't seen any negative comments about it.  It's good value for money, but if it is only for dew bands, the you could easily use a cheaper switch mode supply rather than a linear one.

Archived