SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings,

Im new to the realms of astronomy and have just acquired my first telescope; an Orion Skyscanner 100m reflector. I've taken it out a few times using a childrens Ikea table as a mount and attempted some afocal photography using my Canon EOS 100D DSLR camera (without a great deal of success as can be expected!).

Though I have a keen interest in astrophotgraphy, Im settling for simply viewing at this stage, with a view to purchasing a good mount in the future perhaps. Currently, I could benefit from a mount that is going to offer me some reasonable stability over a flimsy table that isnt going to cost the earth.

Would an inexpensive EQ (such as the Orion EQ-1) be suitable or should I perhaps consider a simple camera tripod or Altazimuth? Any suggestions here would be welcome.

And if anyone has suggestions on achieving some basic astrophotgraphy with my prospective equipment in mind, Id like to hear from them. Or if its best avoided entirely (which I highly expect) then Id also like to know.

Thanks!

Nathan

If you happen to live in the central/east of Scotland (a slim chance) and could easily get to Dundee, I have a Celestron goto tripod and mount which is resting in the shed and needs a new owner with a small telescope...and it's free!

It's an alt-az head but with go-to would be useful for slightly longer exposures and will keep you on target. 

Also do you do the hand held afocal or with direct connection to the telescope? You might have to consider a barlow or t connection, but certainly connecting directly to the telescope is worth considering.

May I suggest you take a look at the gallery on the dundeeastro website and check out some images shot by Nathan Brookes (Skully) who uses his mobile hand held on through a 100mm tabletop 'scope and Ken Kennedy who uses a Canon 100d albeit on a eq5 set-up and larger 'scope.

I would add a few links but don't want to be too presumtuous.

5 hours ago, Major Canis said:

Would an inexpensive EQ (such as the Orion EQ-1) be suitable or should I perhaps consider a simple camera tripod or Altazimuth? Any suggestions here would be welcome.

If you want to upgrade the mount, I would skip the EQ-1 (I had an EQ-2 clone and it was wobbly) and think of  something solid & worth keeping and using for various tasks. Eg. an EQ-5.

5 hours ago, oobydooby said:

If you happen to live in the central/east of Scotland (a slim chance) and could easily get to Dundee, I have a Celestron goto tripod and mount which is resting in the shed and needs a new owner with a small telescope...and it's free!

It's an alt-az head but with go-to would be useful for slightly longer exposures and will keep you on target. 

Also do you do the hand held afocal or with direct connection to the telescope? You might have to consider a barlow or t connection, but certainly connecting directly to the telescope is worth considering.

May I suggest you take a look at the gallery on the dundeeastro website and check out some images shot by Nathan Brookes (Skully) who uses his mobile hand held on through a 100mm tabletop 'scope and Ken Kennedy who uses a Canon 100d albeit on a eq5 set-up and larger 'scope.

I would add a few links but don't want to be too presumtuous.

I live at the opposite end of the country I'm afraid! Thanks all the same.

I was doing hand held afocal. I considered an adapter but this is my point in question; is it worth it without a reasonable mount? Im happy to settle for good viewing with a cheaper mount that might achieve passable photos if this is possible?

Eq-1 is terrible. Wobbly. As a minimum, for astrophotography, I would look at eq3-2. If budget is tight, look at used ones, for sale section here or astrobuysell are good places to start. 

For viewing alt-az might be better, but as an equatorial type I don't know much about those.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are new to astronomy and the SGL but I have already spoken with a few members on another topic regarding using binoculars and a Nikon pro staff 5 82mm digiscope we use for birdwatching until we can work out what we want to buy.

My wife and I are looking to buy our first telescope but don't want to rush in and spend our money on something that we will regret as would appear to happen to others frequently.

We live in Glasgow and I noticed oobydooby, that you had a mount and telescope going free in the Dundee area.  I hope you do not think I am being cheeky but, We could certainly arrange to get to Dundee, and if the equipment is suitable for a beginner we might be able to come to an agreement regarding cost etc.  If it was free, we could maybe make a donation to a charity of your choice as a gesture of good will or pay it forward in the future to another beginner who might just need the help and support that is out there.

I have just purchased a couple of books recommended by members of the lounge, 'make every photon count' and 'turn right at Orion' as I have found that The members here are great and full of sound advice.

I hope you don't mind me butting in to your topic and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Angus

Archived