Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Minimum spec laptop for running PHD2 and APT?

sheeprug

Since the demand for laptops in our house outstrips supply, I've been trying to work out what I need to spend to keep everybody happy. 

Any  suggestions on the minimum specs needed to run common astro software programs are?   I'm not talking about post processing - that con be done offline - just running PHD2 and APT/BYEOS would be enough.   

SR.

Not much at all needed for those two, a small netbook would run them fine, with maybe an Atom processor and 4gb RAM, and if it comes with solid state hard drive all the better...

i ran those two fine on an old netbook with 1.4ghz Atom processor 2gb of ram and a standard 360gb hard drive.... :)

Same for me - an SSD netbook with Atom 1.33 GHz, 2GB ram. Runs PHD2, APT, CdC at the same time quite happily. Can even do web browsing whilst imaging using Chrome. I also use the netbook for processing using DSS and GIMP v2.9x.

Yes- low spec but make sure you have more than enough USB ports!  Some smaller laptops/netbooks are sadly lacking in this respect.  Maybe worth going secondhand/reconditioned - I have used these folks:  https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/404/Laptops-Netbooks/     on several occasions with every satisfaction (usual disclaimer).  Windows 7 or 10 are both OK with PHD and APT etc.

My astro laptop for this purpose is Lenovo T61, these thinkpads are made up of something special because they just work beautifully in any weather condition. I run Maxim DL, Stellarium, EQMOD all at the same time. It doesn't have USB 3 poets but it does have an express card slot so I bought myself a USB 3 Express card. Space is alright, not fussy.

Now as you can see from above you don't need much special specs to run all of this assuming you're not going to be using to process the images on it

I use 2. An ASUS X205TA for travel and a refurb Dell 6420 (with a SSD) when I'm at home (just because I can :icon_biggrin:).

HP, Acer and ASUS make nice little Netbooks some with a 14 inch screen and reasonably priced. 

Thanks everybody.  Some good suggestions there. It looks like it's a decision between a new shiny netbook, or a more powerful refurbished deal.  I like the Thinkpads suggestion - they were the standard issue business laptops in the company I used to work for, and were good solid machines.   

SR

USB's?

Imaging camera

Guiding camera

Mount

Mouse (if, like me, you hate trackpads!) - you can carry a mouse around the observatory and operate it on any convenient flat surface - its is surprising how often I do this! 

Spare - in case I have forgotten something!

I make that 4 or 5.

Archived