Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pentax SMC 8-24mm zoom v XW eps

Looking at the Ricoh site, it gives eye relief for the 8 - 24 zoom as 18 to 22mm. 

FOV less than XWs, but how is the optical quality from 14 to 22mm compared to XW eps for those two focal lengths? Given the varying reports of field curvature etc, is the zoom's view for astronomical viewing better edge to edge, if not wider?

Which Zoom are you talking about, as there are various zooms on the market? 

The XW 14 and 22 do go off towards the edge of the field in faster scopes, with the 14 being the worst, which kind of defeats the point of a 70° AF.  The Pentax zoom has varying reports but I haven't had chance to use one. However the Baader 8 - 24 zoom is top notch and very close to the XW's in clarity and sharpness. I can't remember seeing any edge distortion in the Baader zoom and thought it a very impressive eyepiece. 

Using my Baader Mk111, eye relief does get better as the focal length decreases - though I'm never measured by how much.  At 24mm the eye relief is the least, and it shows.  By 20mm it is clearly better and more acceptable to me, and increases more gradually as you approach 8mm.  I must admit, I quickly move off 24mm to 20mm as the view is much better.  Also of note it that with my Baader T2 prism the 20mm setting gives vignetting using both a single eyepiece and my binoviewer, which is absent by the time I'm moved down to the 20mm setting.   I'm sure I've seen some figures of the eye relief at various settings, but can't for the life of me remember where.

I have to say, this isn't meant to be negative, I'm very happy with the Mk111 and have two, so I can use them for binoviewing as well as monovision. The Mk111 is also excellent when used with the Baader x2.24 Zoom Barlow.

Archived