sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

I bought another 300 mm lens as an alternative to the Canon 300 mm L lens I already have. The main reason is to achive a lower vignetting. I have very positive experience from an earlier medium format lens. This is the Pentax 645 300 mm ED f/4 lens with good reputation. If I get some positive results from this lens I maybe replace my Canon 300 mm lens with this one.

Here is some photos and data about the lens:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-pentax645-300ed/01-pentax645-300ed.html

I bought it mostly because I'm curious about it and want to test it. It's more than ten years older than the Canon lens.

Lars

Edited by Astrofriend
  • 1 month later...

My Canon 300 mm lens setup is ready for some test in the night, I have already done some test in the opening of the clouds and could see that it works very good.

Now I planning for my next 300 mm lens, the Pentax 645 medium format f/4 ED lens. The last days I have 3D-printed two tube rings. It feels very stable and I hope it will not fall apart during the night.

This is how they look:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/3d-printing/pentax645-300mm-bracket/01-pentax645-300mm-bracket.html

Only the 180 teeth pulley missing for the motor focus.

/Lars

• 2 weeks later...

First light with the Pentax 645 300 mm ED f/4 lens.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-photo/galaxies/m101/m101-galaxy.html

Click on the image to bring up the full resolution image and inspect the corners. Look very good to me except one of the corner.

This old medium format lens is impressive. There are not many old cheap medium format lenses with ED glass elements, they are too old for that. The never APO medium format lenses are very expensive and have electronic aperature and focus which can be complicated to use in an astrosetup.

/Lars

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Astrofriend said:

First light with the Pentax 645 300 mm ED f/4 lens.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-photo/galaxies/m101/m101-galaxy.html

Click on the image to bring up the full resolution image and inspect the corners. Look very good to me except one of the corner.

This old medium format lens is impressive. There are not many old cheap medium format lenses with ED glass elements, they are too old for that. The never APO medium format lenses are very expensive and have electronic aperature and focus which can be complicated to use in an astrosetup.

/Lars

Utmarkt, tack for forkaringen. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astrofriend
      A friend ask me about filter size, I already had a Excel sheet with that calculation. But I did a new web calculator.
      It's the first version but it looks to calculate it correct, have a look:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-calculations/minimize-vignetting/minimize-vignetting.html
      It's not any high precision calculation, but gives knowledge enough I think.
      Too small filter gives vignetting, too big filter empty the wallet.
      /Lars
    • By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      I spend a day here to analyze my master flats and what vignetting I have on my lenses and telescopes. It's very simple done but still interesting to set figures on it.

It's done on a full frame camera and I use the values from the center and the corner of the sensor. The corner is 22 mm of from the center on a full frame sensor. I never liked to have strong vignetting in my optics, and in the future I want to go for bigger size than full frame.

I have put together a page over the vignetting I got:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-different-lenses-vignetting/01-different-lenses-vignetting.html

Maybe interesting for some of you to have a look at.

My telescope shall handle a medium format sensor of the size 48 x 36 mm with the setup I have now. My medium format optics already do it. Just missing the medium format camera.

/Lars
    • By Astrofriend
      Long time ago I bought a Pentax medium format lens. It's a Pentax SMC 67 165 mm f/2.8. The reason I bought this was to have as low vignetting as possible. Later I bought the Sigma APO 150 mm f/2,8. Very good but a bit high vignetting.
      After this the Pentax have collected a lot of dust. But why not give it one more chance?
      Here you can see some graphs over the vignetting where I compare the Sigma with the Pentax:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-sigma-pentax-vignetting/project-sigma-vs-pentax.html
      Later I shall also do some test how sharp it is, now with a live view camera it's much easier to get it in perfect focus, I think I failed with this earlier.
      Any other out there using medium format lenses (for astro)?
      /Lars
    • By 25585
      For holidays, birding and astronomy I would like a spotting scope that is shock and water proof, which take interchangeable  1.25 in/31.7 mm eye pieces. It would be a refractor 45 degree to 90 degree prism model, 80 to 100mm OD.
      Pentax models, Nikon and Celestron Regal all do, any others?
      For astronomy, which are going to give the best views for flat field, low or no chromatic or any other kind of aberration? 

• By johngwheeler
      I've been struggling to find an answer to whether a 2.5" focuser is likely to cause vignetting on a full-frame (36x24mm) camera sensor.
      This would be for an f/7 130mm scope, probably used in conjunction with a 3" 0.79x focal reducer (stated to have an illuminated image circle of 45mm).
      Whilst the focal reducer should fully illuminate the sensor (having an M68 connector on the scope side and M48 on the camera side), it is not clear whether any "mechanical" vignetting might occur with a 2.5" focuser drawtube. 
      I imagine this would depend on the backfocus of the scope - i.e. how far the focal plane is behind the end of the focuser.  If it's a long way back, I can visualize the light cone potentially being restricted when it enters the drawtube inside the OTA. Hopefully, the scope isn't designed this way, but it's hard to tell.
      If there is no mechanical vignetting, it does raise the question of what the benefits of larger focusers are. Greater load capacity certainly; improved stability? maybe. But does it actually give a wider unvignetted image circle?
      I'd like to apply some science to this question, rather than buying a bigger focuser "just in case"!

Thanks for any answers!
      John.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.