Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33 at last

Rodd

I was never satisfied with my L(Ha)R(Ha)GB of M33.  I over processed the darn thing every time I had a go at it--which was too often to count.  I fell into the same gopher hole every time.  The data was excellent, however--each stack looked great, so I had another go after a much needed break from it.  I think I am satisfied.  My main goal was not over processing, and depicting that soft glow that is  commonly seen in galactic images.

TOA 130 at F7.7, STT 8300

Red: 31 10m min

Green 31 10 min

Blue 19 10 min

Ha 10 30 min

HaLRGB-1b.thumb.jpg.7b0c2c02cf0f5fd641839254b34b37c0.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Mars--As long as its not too red!  Delicate balance...not my strong suite!

Rodd

It might be slightly red on my work monitor, but it could be the display.. I find that the best representation of levels and colors are on my iPhone when screen is at full brightness, believe it or not... I imagine its the same for all modern smart phones... have a look on the phone screen, you'll be surprised how much either better a image looks or how much level inaccuracies it shows up.

Either way, it looks great.

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

L(Ha)R(Ha)GB

Super M33! Could you explain a bit more about the Ha and Red exposures - times for these are different but my limited understanding would expect them to be the same as Ha is presumably used for Red?

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

It might be slightly red on my work monitor, but it could be the display.. I find that the best representation of levels and colors are on my iPhone when screen is at full brightness, believe it or not... I imagine its the same for all modern smart phones... have a look on the phone screen, you'll be surprised how much either better a image looks or how much level inaccuracies it shows up.

Either way, it looks great.

Yes...I agree.  On my iPhone images look amazing.  I think some of it is the screen size.  But I love looking at astrobin photos on my iPhone or ipad.

Rodd

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Very nice, and it reminds me I need to do this target again to try to improve on last time. 

Carole 

Thanks Carole.  That's the beauty of AP--everytime I image a target its different somehow.  Be nice to string together a few reslly good nights so that all the data is good for a change!

Rodd

2 hours ago, bobro said:

Super M33! Could you explain a bit more about the Ha and Red exposures - times for these are different but my limited understanding would expect them to be the same as Ha is presumably used for Red?

Thanks Brobro.  Broad band is a bit different than narrowband.  Ha typically takes longer to collect, and its pretty impervious to light pollution so the sky fog limit is taken out of the equation.  I usually take 30 min Ha subs.  But 1 hour subs for Ha are doen by some.  When adding Ha to the red channel and to the lum channel, only a percentage of it is added usually--otherwise the image would look too red.  The long subs ensure a clean signal so noise is not added to the image.

Rodd

I suppose it would not be complete without one last modification.  A touch of fine scale sharpening to reveal individual stars in the spiral arms.  Still not sure about the blue level--but that is easy to change.

HaLRGB-1d3.thumb.jpg.169e91a974418c6d21cc128b68640683.jpg

Hi Rodd.

A very very nice image... You have inspired me to re-evaluate my own M33, and certainly yours has become a role model image when i start reprocessing!

The subtle touch to it makes it seem so realistic as one would be looking at it with ones own eyes.

Kind regards, Graem

56 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

Hi Rodd.

A very very nice image... You have inspired me to re-evaluate my own M33, and certainly yours has become a role model image when i start reprocessing!

The subtle touch to it makes it seem so realistic as one would be looking at it with ones own eyes.

Kind regards, Graem

Wow..Thanks Graem.  I appreciate the kind words and look forward to seeing your M33

Rodd

24 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Rod if you did not give us at least 8 verions then it would not be you ;)

Latest Version looks fantastic, not going to be easy to improve on that without ending up on the slippery slope towards over processing. 

Adam

Thanks Adam, and you are correct--that is the last one.  I don't want to fool with it anymore.  

Rodd

Archived