Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An Astrophotographers Perspective

Scott

Having weasled my way into a Dob Mob field trip to the Isle of Skye, I felt it only fair to share my experience. For those expecting a list of targets found, stop reading now. I make no claims to finding any but the easiest of messier objects. I did however have one or two blokes that know a thing or two willing (or should I say eager) to show me around.

I started with the easiest I could think of. M31 followed by M81/82. the detail was something of a shock to me and whetted my appetite for things to come. Seeing the veil through Estwings 18" was a sight that will stay with me for a long time. We then looked at objects too many to recall. M1 was amazing. M51 fantastic and a multitude of tiny galaxies I wouldn't have thought possible.

No doubt I've failed to mention many sights (oh, like the Crescent) so apologies. 

Thanks to Estwing (Calv), Swamp Thing (Steve), Faulksy (Mike), Daniel K (Danny) and Mapstar (Damian) for one of the greatest nights under the stars I can remember. I didn't even mind the fact that I'd dropped my pc and my nights imaging ended before it began (Well not too much).

Oh, and we saw the northern lights Captured by Daniel K and our "purely visual" astronomer, Estwing just to top things off :D

Was great to have you along as a member of the mob for the week mate :) 

Pleased to read you enjoyed yourself. The more people we can show how those "fuzzy grey blobs" aren't quite so fuzzy and grey as is widely reported the better ;) 

33 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

The more people we can show how those "fuzzy grey blobs" aren't quite so fuzzy and grey as is widely reported the better

Yeah right, Steve, I'm not goin' to fall for that one :D:D

Although a trip to Skye to be convinced might just be the deal breaker IF I can bring me pipes ....... :evil4:

Archived