Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New visual setup - part 1

This year has been the most fun I've had stargazing (only been 4 years mind!). Joining a local astro club, meeting more experienced observers and enjoying some really dark skies have shown me a whole new side to the hobby.

My first scope was a Celestron 6se and although I did have some decent times with it, I found the goto a bit challenging to get working well.

So I moved onto alt az slo mo mounts such as the porta 2 with the relatively small tv85 and Tak fc100df. I got on better with these and began to learn the skies and be able to star hop to new objects reasonably easy.

Then last year I purchased a larger refractor and mounted this on a rock solid t-Rex mount with slo mo. This worked well but I still found star hopping a challenge in the light polluted sw London skies. In addition, although the slo mo controls were smooth, the constant twiddling of the controls did impact my ability to concentrate on the target.

So a few months ago, the skywatcher az gti mount was released and I found it a revelation with 100mm tak. The set up was really easy (I think my experience gained does help me compared to a few years ago - and also sky safari...). But maybe the best bit was the automatic tracking which allowed me to just relax and enjoy the target object for much longer periods. I think my most fun nights (astronomy wise ?) were in August under a dark warm sky with the az gti and my tak drinking in some lovely objects such as the veil, double double, blue snowball and Caroline's rose.

However, at times, I did find myself wanting that bit more aperture which the az gti couldn't do.

So I looked around for a mount that was quick and easy to set up, could hold a large retractor, had goto and was not too heavy to move/transport around. I was struggling until I came around a recent astronomy now magazine which reviewed a Danish mount called the TTS-160 panther.

I placed an order and it arrived today and so far it looks pretty good to me. I've set it up indoors and it's straightforward and quick. My 130mm looks overmounted!

Heres a photo showing the mount in its transport bags with the t-Rex mount behind it. Ihave a couple of extra bags for a pier extension and a heavier set of weights but in normal use I think I won't need them.

Also there is a photo of the mount set up with my 130mm refractor sitting atop it.

Finally to complete my new visual set up, I am awaiting a new scope which has been on order since June. I've been told it will be shipped from overseas this week so I looking forward to trying out my complete new set up soon.

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

Very nice Gavin :icon_biggrin:

I've seen the Panther mounts a couple of times at astro shows and they look superb !

If you ever feel like parting with your T-Rex ........ :wink:

May I ask what the new scope is - or do you want to do a big "reveal" when it arrives ? :smiley:

18 minutes ago, John said:

Very nice Gavin :icon_biggrin:

I've seen the Panther mounts a couple of times at astro shows and they look superb !

If you ever feel like parting with your T-Rex ........ :wink:

May I ask what the new scope is - or do you want to do a big "reveal" when it arrives ? :smiley:

Thanks John. T-Rex is staying put though ?

Re the new scope I'm going to wait until I actually get it for the reveal. I will say however that my TEC140 has been sold to make way for it...

12 hours ago, GavStar said:

Thanks John. T-Rex is staying put though ?

Re the new scope I'm going to wait until I actually get it for the reveal. I will say however that my TEC140 has been sold to make way for it...

Oh, my!! Some serious wedge changing hands here then! :icon_biggrin:.

Congratulations Gavin, you have some amazing kit there, with more to come. My bet is on a 160-170mm superfrac..:headbang:

Dave

5 hours ago, John said:

Why stop at 160 ? - TEC do a 250mm now - just £50K plus a few months waiting while they build it ! :evil4:

WOW !:Envy:

I just had a look at their site. A deposit of £16500 and then a long wait for the next production run, the current one having sold out !

2 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Congratulations Gavin. Looks like an excellent new mount.

Having had a little communication with you recently, is the new arrival a Lunt 100 - or even a 152? 

Thanks Mark. Not solar, just sticking to a normal night sky scope this time. Although a Lunt 100mm would be rather nice ?

All I can say is 'WOW'! This is a brilliant mount. I've just had a great first evening with it.

Easy to set up and take down. I got it aligned in a couple of minutes with 2 stars and it stayed in perfect alignment all evening. I set up skyfi in seconds and operated the mount through sky safari on my iPhone all the time.

Great views of Orion Nebula (lumicon oiii filter really helped here - the nebula extended into its arms very obviously). Saw E and F stars in trapezium. Bode's nebula. Double cluster. Snowball. Green/grey Uranus. M36,37 and 38 were beautiful. M35 and M45 just stunning. Plus several others.

The spot on tracking meant I could just concentrate on enjoying the views.

Usually it's a real struggle to view objects in the light polluted skies of SW London - not tonight though! 

And it's also really quiet so I don't need to worry about waking the neighbours. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived