Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi Mewlon 210

Having always been a Apo refractor Astronomer, I’ve always liked the ‘snap in’ focus and high contrast views. So, after investing in a 2.2 M, Pulsar Observatory, my large refactor would not fit!

I sold this refractor and used a small 4 inch scope to get me up and running. After a lot of research and pondering, I decided to look at the latest RC and DK scopes, as these seemed to meet my needs and fit in the Observatory.

My price band was quite wide and there was some great offers on many RC’s

Then I came across the Takahashi Mewlons.

Reading reviews from around the world, I was pleased to read glowing reports about the optics and build quality. 

I purchase my Mewlon 210 last month and only recently had a chance to put it through its paces. 

The first light was Venus during the day! I couldn’t wait for dark skies.... 

Using a 12mm eyepiece, the FOV was 0.41 degs and x 201.2, the planet was pin sharp against the blue sky.

That night a quick star test. It looked good. Then I turn the scope to Uranus and Neptune, using a 7mm eyepiece with a FOV of  0.24 degs and x 345. Seeing was so, so and the moon was 4 days old. Both of these distance worlds showed sharp discs and colours, Uranus pale green and Neptune blue, green.

Then I turned to the moon. Wow! Details just oozed out from the lunar surface. The crater, Pythagoras, on the northwest limb showed its center is a sharp, double peak , with dark shadows falling across the crater floor.

I spent a good 2 hours exploring the terminator. As the views changed little by little, the Mewlon 210, mount and Observatory, faded in to the background and I enjoyed every vista the Luna landscape had to offer that night.

Clear skies.

Steve

Hi and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

A Mewlon has been on my "I'd like to own one ...." list for some time. A bit more so since I acquired my 1st Tak last year.

Thanks for the report to make one even more desireable !

Hi Guys.

Many thanks for the warm welcome...

I have to say that I waited a long time for the luxury of an observatory. But now, I’m observing in 5 mins of switching on the goto mount. My old refactor took about 30 to 40 mins to setup. Normally as the clouds rolled in!  

I hope to get some pictures posted soon.. 

Having rediscovered the moon, I’ve found this site ‘Moon Trek’ NASA https://moontrek.jpl.nasa.gov/ very helpful.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Looks like a very wise choice for solar system observations in light polluted locations.  Nice scope Steve I am really pleased it's living up to expectation.  Please pop up any new viewing reports of Jupiter & the ringed giant as they come around!  Lovely stuff.

Archived