NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar occultation of bright star - 5th November

Stu

I just noticed this on SkySafari. At around 19.46, the mag 3.7 star Hyadum I will appear from behind the dark limb of the 95.9% illuminated moon.

It will be quite low at the time, 16 degrees, but if you have a clear view down to that level in the East it might be fun to have a look for it, blinking into view instantly. Might just have a try with binos but a scope better of course.

EDIT The occupation itself happens down at 8 degrees at 18.54, I sort of ignored that because I thought it would be a bit tricky! Times will obviously vary a little with location.

IMG_4490.PNG

IMG_4489.PNG

IMG_4492.PNG

1 minute ago, ringz said:

According to Stellarium Aldebaran is going to be occulted somewhere around 2:30am.

Yes, was just looking at that. Should be good for any night owls who don't have to get up for work! It appears from behind the dark limb at about 3.23 here. If I'm awake..... ;) 

According to my Stellarium, and the IOTA web site, disappearance of alpha TAU will be about 1:15 ( 1:12 from my west country location ) and re-appearance about 2:00 on the morning of 31st Dec. This is a weekend event ( Sat/Sun) so should not be too difficult to stay up for.:hello2:

Nigel

Well done to those who saw and captured this. 'Fraid my bed called. I did get up to answer the now customary call of nature at around 1:30 am.  I squinted out the open window at the moon but could no longer see Aldebaran in the moon's glare, whereas I had seen it easily last night at about 10pm. 

Yep, I have it emerging too Stu, might do an animated gif if I get time. Will post later.

The emergence is nicer to see/capture because it comes out seemingly in the  middle of nowhere,  hidden until the last moment by the dark edge of the moon.

I watched it happening visually through a little finder scope that was lying around.

25 minutes ago, Tim said:

Yep, I have it emerging too Stu, might do an animated gif if I get time. Will post later.

The emergence is nicer to see/capture because it comes out seemingly in the  middle of nowhere,  hidden until the last moment by the dark edge of the moon.

I watched it happening visually through a little finder scope that was lying around.

Nice, look forward to seeing that.

Agreed, it's the popping into view out of nowhere that I enjoy.

6 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Superb images, what the capture details?

Thanks Pete. The scope is my trusty Esprit 150ED, and the picture was taken through a Ha filter for contrast and just to get the moon dark enough in the camera. Can't reveal the camera at the moment as it is on review, but this is a single shot totally unedited, just converted to JPEG and uploaded. Exposure time was set to 0.001 seconds, which won't be what it was, but I can't recall the minimum exposure time off the top of my head.

I'm glad it caught the absolute moment before the separation was lost, because the download time between each sub was quite lengthy. The crop is just a crop of the larger image.

17 hours ago, Tim said:

Thanks Pete. The scope is my trusty Esprit 150ED, and the picture was taken through a Ha filter for contrast and just to get the moon dark enough in the camera. Can't reveal the camera at the moment as it is on review, but this is a single shot totally unedited, just converted to JPEG and uploaded. Exposure time was set to 0.001 seconds, which won't be what it was, but I can't recall the minimum exposure time off the top of my head.

I'm glad it caught the absolute moment before the separation was lost, because the download time between each sub was quite lengthy. The crop is just a crop of the larger image.

Thanks for the info, its very impressive image. The difference in brightness is very large so to get them in a single shot is excellent! 

Archived