NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 - refractor - how big?

gazza

Hi,

I've picked up Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro to use as a portable mount today. I previously had a superb example of an AZEQ6 for portable use, but after developing painful arthritis ( getting old sucks!) I could no longer lift it without significant discomfort and stopped going to dark skies. I had intended attaching an Espirit 100mm refractor for portable imaging purposes, but funds have become available such that I could afford either an ES 127FCD100 or an Espirit 120mm. These are within the weight range of the mount, but I wonder whether their length may be an issue? Anyone have any experience with this sort of load on this mount for imaging purposes - QHY9/Filterwheel?

TIA

cheers

Gary

HI Gary, how far dare you go, I use mine with ed80 or starwave 102 or AR127L and as long as its balanced well it works as it should, for solar I use a duel set up of a ed80 +quark + cam with the 102 + lunt wedge+1200d with no problem at all. charl. 

27 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

HI Gary, how far dare you go, I use mine with ed80 or starwave 102 or AR127L and as long as its balanced well it works as it should, for solar I use a duel set up of a ed80 +quark + cam with the 102 + lunt wedge+1200d with no problem at all. charl. 

Alright if you're indoors Charl :grin: no wind.

I use the 152mm on a iEQ45 which works fine as long as there's no wind.

Dave

For the scope itself I would try to keep it under 6kg and under 9kg once you have everything else bolted onto the setup assuming that you want to do long exposures with that QHY9S. I dare say that you could get away with a larger scope and shorter subs with one of the new CMOS cameras.. 

So in essence I think that an Esprit 120mm is pushing it just a little bit too far. 

3 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

I still get wind mate, mostly after beans :happy8:, floor movement is my biggist problem, winds a problem with any mount and a big frac, its like getting your sea legs, you get used to it in the end. charl.

Too much information Charl :wink:.

Thanks for the replies - I have trouble with beans too.. :icon_biggrin:

I thought the 120 was probably going a bit far...probably about 12kg all up, with a significant lever arm due to tube length.

Will stick with the 100mm Esprit.....probably about 8-9 kg loaded with camera etc, and significantly shorter....

cheers

Gary

Archived