Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher mounts

Adidaz 29

Thinking of getting a skywatcher eq5pro  goto or whether to get an heq5 goto pro model I know the heq5 is lot more expensive besides taking a bigger scope do they both do the same job just trying to save  a bit of money and I like your option s please

It would be a false economy to go for the EQ5, as you'll soon realize that you need the bigger mount afterall, to carry OTA,guider etc....

I'd suggest saving for an EQ6Pro\AZ-EQ6Pro, which will cover your needs into the future....

For deep sky imaging the HEQ5 is often considered a minimum. For visual and planetary imaging (depending on the scope) an EQ5 would probably suffice, but an HEQ5 would still be better. I have a Vixen Great Polaris (the EQ5 is one of many clones), and I am happy with that with the Celestron C8 on it, for both visual and planetary imaging. I might experiment a bit with DSO imaging, but I think I will replace it by something sturdier when I start doing that seriously.

6 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It would be a false economy to go for the EQ5, as you'll soon realize that you need the bigger mount afterall, to carry OTA,guider etc....

I'd suggest saving for an EQ6Pro\AZ-EQ6Pro, which will cover your needs into the future....

Thank Julian 

If ever you intend to do long exposure imaging you should go for the HEQ5 Pro. Because so many people want to image, these days, this mount has excellent residual value as well.

While the NEQ6 does carry more payload it is no more accurate than the HEQ5 and is a bigger lump to set up. If portability is important the HEQ5 might be the better of the two.

Olly

1 minute ago, newbie alert said:

Sorry to highjack the thread..whats the difference between the heq and a eq model..im thinking myself of a eq6 pro for imaging as I think it's belt driven..is that the way to go..not really up on skywatcher mounts

Only the primary drive is by belt, and only on the AZ-EQ versions, I think. After that it's worm and wheel. Our pair of EQ sixes have spur gear primary drive and worm and wheel after that, but they can be converted to primary belt drive. For an entirely belt driven mount you need to go to the Avalon range.

Olly

Having recently got an Avalon (indeed, eye-wateringly expensive) I actually have a 'spare' 18-month old, belt-modded HEQ-5, with weight extension arm, upgraded elevation bolts, and ADM dual saddle, in absolutely pristine condition.  The belt mod certainly cures the 'bag of spanners' problem.  I'd not yet decided to sell it, but PM me if interested, and I might put it up in the Buy/Sell section.

On 27/09/2017 at 10:22, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

For deep sky imaging the HEQ5 is often considered a minimum. For visual and planetary imaging (depending on the scope) an EQ5 would probably suffice, but an HEQ5 would still be better. I have a Vixen Great Polaris (the EQ5 is one of many clones), and I am happy with that with the Celestron C8 on it, for both visual and planetary imaging. I might experiment a bit with DSO imaging, but I think I will replace it by something sturdier when I start doing that seriously.

20 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

If ever you intend to do long exposure imaging you should go for the HEQ5 Pro. Because so many people want to image, these days, this mount has excellent residual value as well.

While the NEQ6 does carry more payload it is no more accurate than the HEQ5 and is a bigger lump to set up. If portability is important the HEQ5 might be the better of the two.

Olly

Thanks ollypenrice

Archived