NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution filter advice needed

Hi all

Firstly, can I say if it wasn't for this forum and the helpful members here I wouldn't be sat in my garden trying to overcome yet another challenge thrown up by this ridiculous hobby.

Thanks!

Since modifying my canon 6d I have been wrestling with light pollution, I'm on the edge of Lancaster and lp has always been a struggle but I've relied on astronomik clip filters in the past and they have been pretty reliable.

Now I have a sensitive full frame modified camera and thought it would be an obvious choice to opt for the xl clip in CLS filter. I have to admit I'm disappointed. Although the filter seems to greatly reduce the sky glow it introduces other problems I have difficulty dealing with post processing.

the filter casts a shadow, top and bottom of the frame and there is some colour cast, greens mainly that I struggle with. 

After doing some research it would appear I'm not alone. Other people have complained the xl clip filters are a poor design.

So I need a solution and unfortunately will need to throw some more money at the problem but I don't want to regret my next purchase.

I'm mainly imaging with a revelation astro 100 ed using a TS Flat 2 and would be happy with a 2" screw in filter or a different clip style that works better.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has used a modified full frame dslr with a refractor and found the ideal lp filter 

thanks in advance 

cheers

Bryan

I am lucky enough that i bought a mono cooled CMOS camera, i have many DSLRs but i never bother to modify any, and i live in a heavy light pollution urban, so the only way for me was to go Narrowbanding.

I advise you if you can find a Ha filter that can be used in your camera as a clip in or whatever then this will open a lot of doors for you about 1 week ago or more i was able to imaging M42 for the first time in my life, and in addition i tried with Rosette Nebula too, was surprised to see what that Ha filter is capable of, and i was using a cheap Achromatic scope and i wasn't polar aligned my mount properly and not guided, so if you want to save time and relief for headache just get Ha filter as soon as possible, but i really can't judge if Ha is good to be used with modified DSLR or not, maybe it is only for a mono cameras, look at Optolong L-Pro filter as another option.

The LP filters I used on ALL my cameras are Hutech IDAS filters. If you can fit the 2" version onto the front of your TS Flat2 so much the better as you can keep it  if you ever migrate to a cooled CCD or CMOS camera. They do work well with both mono and OSC  cameras.

Steve

I have been using the Hutech IDAS P2 filter for a few years. I have just bought a new set of filters and was about to pull the trigger on another IDAS. Upon some investigation I found that the Chroma LP filter seemed to have better transmission of 'good' light and less 'bad' light.

The first image is the Hutech light transmission graph and the second the Chroma.

LP Hutech.jpg

LP chroma.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:09, swag72 said:

I have been using the Hutech IDAS P2 filter for a few years. I have just bought a new set of filters and was about to pull the trigger on another IDAS. Upon some investigation I found that the Chroma LP filter seemed to have better transmission of 'good' light and less 'bad' light.

The first image is the Hutech light transmission graph and the second the Chroma.

LP Hutech.jpg

LP chroma.jpg

Hi Sara

Thanks for the input

Interesting!

As usual, the filter that performs better is of course more expensive!

I am tempted though....

Bryan

Archived