NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First pop at the moon...

Devonian

My first attempt at imaging the moon (in fact, imaging anything skyward).

Canon 10D + 2x Barlow, Sky-Watcher ST80.

Single frame, RAW @ 1/60 sec and a little post processing.

Considering there is a sodium street lamp 15 yards diagonally to the right and a flourescent strip light 10 yards diagonally to the left, both looking down the 'scope, I don't think it's too bad?

Constructive comments please...

8292_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nigel.

Pretty good for a single frame, although I think the focus was a bit soft.

But if you took a number of these and then stacked them, you'd increase the signal to noise ratio and produce a nice smooth image.

But for a first shot, its great :D

I think that is a great first image - with regard to the focus, it possibly is a little too soft but I also suspect that the image has been 'smoothed' a little too much - detail can often appear much crisper if some of the 'noise' is left in the image - you could consider blending this smoothed version with an un-smoothed version until the noise just starts to appear.

In any event, I wish my first image had been that good!

What's goign on here, Nigel - are you having a pop at the moon? :x :D

In any event, I wish my first image had been that good!

and me!

Anyway, your image is an excellent first attempt and provides you a great starting point - you've got exposture almost bang on (a little overexposed for my liking), and you've got the framing spot on too.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

I did do several shots in quick succession, like 9 in under 2 seconds, via a remote shutter release.

However, the limit is a max of 9 RAW frames before the 10D empties it's buffer to the CF card, which takes an age.

Looking at a run of 9 images, several have some distortion, most likely as said, by atmospherics.

I took the best single frame and did a little post processing on that, end result is in my first post.

Agree on the focus, the biggest problem is - my eyesight!

Acheiving focus via the crummy Canon viewfinder is difficult enough in daylight, let alone at night.

I wear varifocals and setting the viewfinder diopter for daytime+glasses use is fine, however, I prefer not to use my glasses when observing !

I regularly shoot with old, manual lenses adapted to fit the Canon and can usually hit focus in daylight.

I need to find a quick 'perfect focus' for the 'scope somehow and am going to have a go at making one of the so called 'Bahintov Mask' - looks interesting and have printed a suitably sized one onto some card and now have a bit of work to do with the scalpel tonight.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,30884.0.html

Original article HERE - well worth a read.

Anyway, all said and done, I'm quite pleased with the first attempt and am beginning to appreciate just how much time and effort goes into the really good shots I see on this and other forums/web pages.

Nigel.

Shot a few more last night.

This time I used my Canon 20D as I know the diopter is set for me wearing glasses.

Stack of 6 RAW frames with minor post processing.

Think I might be getting somewhere now.

I also shot a 30 sec AVI with a Toucam SPC900 but at a quick peek, I reckon the Canon out does it, so far...

8346_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nigel.

Archived