NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stunning clear night.

cotterless45

Absolutely stunning night , between weather fronts the air is stable and clear. Kicked off with a good Saturn then some views of binaries in Pegasus.IMG_5106.thumb.JPG.fbdd22d4a0ea41825323b642edca1fd1.JPG

Then onto Cygnus and caught most of the Eastern Veil (NGC 6692 -6695 being brightest) at x30 with a Oiii filter.

Keeping this in , NGC 7008, the"Fetus" nebula glowed up. Over to Aquila and the full size and shape of the( NGC 6781)  "ghost of the moon" , looking exactly like that. There are some superb clusters here. Once again the "phantom streak " escaped me .

Up to the treasures of Perseus and Cassiopeia , with a lovely view of M76, the "little dumbell". Just so much in this area and so many open clusters. A run through the Messier's and a view of the globular M71. At x120 it began to resolve as dust with diamonds scattered over it. 

Away from the scope and just looking around , the sky was very dark from 50 degrees up, if looked lovely with no twinkling or the rush of jet-stream. Just get a bright star and focus towards yourself , if you want to catch upper air wobble !

Superb night , hope you got out there !

clear skies ! Nick.

Good to see you reporting again Nick :) Which scope were you using?

I think Pi Aquilae at 1.4" is the smallest I've managed in the 4", Zeta Herc I continuously fail with! Must try higher mag!

Great report, Nick!  Some interesting objects as usual - 8 will have to look up the Fetus nebula.

It was certainly very clear... I managed a 4 hour session from 10 until 2am.  Although some haze was apparent and low cloud from 1am.   Need to write up the report though!

It was a superb night, wasn't it! Nice report Nick.

I included a couple of the above, three of Sissy's difficult unequal doubles, and finished off with the glorious Pi Aquilae (beautifully split, a yard apart) and Iota Cass  to soak up the colours that a really clear night can give to some doubles. Then it clouded over in seconds....

Chris

14 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Clear here too for a change, did anyone else see the huge late Perseid meteor at 10.40pm?, brilliant white, rushing through Cygnus straight along the Milky Way. Left a bright train which lasted several seconds.  :icon_biggrin:

Yep I saw that too, was Quite a sight :icon_biggrin:

Great report Nick :icon_biggrin:

I was doing some doubles as well last night, amongst other stuff, but with my 12" dob for a change. Managed to split Lambda Cygni at 265x which I felt quite chuffed about.

2 hours ago, John said:

Great report Nick :icon_biggrin:

I was doing some doubles as well last night, amongst other stuff, but with my 12" dob for a change. Managed to split Lambda Cygni at 265x which I felt quite chuffed about.

What does it look like with 12"?

Chris

Archived