Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova 2017fgc in NGC 474

harrym

This is my first observing report here, so I hope it's up to standard!

SN 2017fgc doesn't seem to have got much attention - I guess that's because of the dreadful weather. When I spotted that the early hours of Sunday morning (6/8) were going to be clear, I decided to have a go at it even though the Moon was almost full, because the SN is fading and who knows when it's next going to be clear?

NGC 474 is in Pisces, so I waited until about 2:30 when the galaxy was about 30° above the horizon and the Moon was getting low. With the 12" Northumberland refractor there's no need for star hopping because of the computer system - you can just point the scope at the right coordinates and the object is in the field of view. Using a 28mm Nirvana which gives a magnification of around 220x and a field of view of about 23', I found the correct field quickly. I soon identified the two mag 13.5 stars next to the galaxy, which you can see on the image below (from the Sky and Telescope article - not mine!). Soon afterwards the core of the galaxy popped out in averted vision, and then the supernova itself. NGC 474 is listed as magnitude 11.3 and has a very bright central core, but even most of the core appeared to be washed away by the moonlight. The SN was significantly fainter than the two stars, probably around mag 14.0 - half a magnitude fainter than its peak. As it's Type Ia it will fade rapidly, so it might have faded another whole magnitude by the time the Moon's out of the way.

Neighbouring galaxy NGC 470 (mag 11.7) was also in the field of view. I couldn't see anything more than the apparently stellar core, and even that took some effort with averted vision. Both galaxies were new objects for me. Images show that NGC 474 has some spectacular tidal tails - there's a challenge for the big dobsonians!

All in all, it was definitely worth it but I hope we get some more clear nights when the Moon has gone...

SN2017fgc_NGC474_July-22_StanHowerton.jp

Harry, if that's your first report, you can come back more often! :) 

Lovely scope and great observations. I'm unlikely to get a chance at this one so reading this is the next best thing. Thanks!

Thanks for the enjoyable report Harry. I recently visited Cambridge University for the SHA meeting and had a guided visit to the Northumberland Telescope. It must be an excellent experience viewing the SN in NGC 474.

If the SN is now at mag 14 I think we might have a problem seeing it unless we can find a very dark site.

Archived