Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Must ... restrain ... myself ....

Just seen this on ebay and am seriously almost tempted. Not just a telescope, but a piece of folk legend. I mean, how bad can it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAMAX-CRITERION-TELESCOPE-Vintage-used-with-Dyna-Tracker-Not-Tested-/232426028273?hash=item361dabbcf1:g:iTQAAOSwGZhZebWi

Anyone here actually looked through one and able to offer an informed opinion?

Billy.

Not a scope with a good reputation I'm afraid :dontknow:

There are a few that are OK but many had issues. If you really know your stuff you might be able to make something of it, if the primary is one of the better ones, but otherwise probably best avoided.

1 hour ago, billyharris72 said:

Not just a telescope, but a piece of folk legend. I mean, how bad can it be?

Actually, very bad. I had the 4" Criterion and it was truly awful. Put me off SCTs for life. Criterion/ Dynamax / Bausch+Lomb all had a reputation for very variable production quality. At the time (late 80s) Meade and Celestron weren't a whole lot better. Halleymania was in full swing and all pretence at quality control went out of the window to satisfy demand.

RL

That's about what I've always heard - that these things were almost legendarily bad. If it were £20 cheaper i would be inclined to go for it out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I'll leave the privilege to someone else....

It could make a good project. Replace the primary, secondary, corrector plate, focuser and mount and it could be a nice scope.

1 hour ago, billyharris72 said:

.... Replace the primary, secondary, corrector plate, focuser and mount and it could be a nice scope.

:lol:

Extract from a review on another forum:

".... Jupiter looked like an amoeba, and a deformed amoeba at that ...."

8 hours ago, triton1 said:

Can't believe there's another one in the states for £359 and £88 pand p

It's amazing how little research some folks do before clicking the "buy" button.

There are scopes on e.bay on our side of the pond that are listed at way over the normal retail price band but from the seller feedback people must be buying them :icon_scratch:

Here is an example of what I was getting at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-Startravel-102-SynScan-AZ-GOTO-Computer-Controlled-Refractor-120-mm-4-/302402810794?epid=1705107426&hash=item46689cb3aa:g:0JoAAOSwjkVZgh7t

£533.34 on e.bay when you can buy the same scope from FLO for £317.00 delivered :rolleyes2:

Mind you, all that feedback is private, which makes you wonder .....

I dove into my files, as well as jog my memory on articles I've read on the Criterion Dynamax.

I've posted pictures below - which were titled "Criterion Dynamax - the Horror Scope!"

It seems most people got a lemon - with the lemon being the normal state of these CATS (Catadioptric Len/Mirror) telescopes.

I have a love for CATS, but these seem to be a flea-infested rabid variety.

I'd suggest steering a clear-course away from this,

Dave

598442f1a592e_CriterionDynamax8-Inch-Horror-Scopea.thumb.png.6a8a54c0a5b4e34299203e5266127009.png

5984437896a53_CriterionDynamax8-Inch-Horror-Scopeb.thumb.png.b214f594abdf27b3918e75f0eba2b7a3.png

11 hours ago, John said:

It's amazing how little research some folks do before clicking the "buy" button.

There are scopes on e.bay on our side of the pond that are listed at way over the normal retail price band but from the seller feedback people must be buying them :icon_scratch:

The Ebay price of a new scope seems to be 15-30% higher than the proper dealers charge. Yet people buy off ebay thinking it has to be a bargain.

Archived