Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which eye piece should I buy for deep sky objects

Adidaz 29

Been stargazing for 11 months now getting around some of the constellation in the sky but I have 10 xti Orion Dob I have 6 m 10 mm 18 mm20 mm 25mm and 40mm 2x5 Gary barlow and 28 mm 2inch eye piece but I want to spend around £150 on a eye piece that I can see deep sky objects better hope I put it clear. Not very good with word thanks clear skies pork pies

4 hours ago, Adidaz 29 said:

Just been told 2 inch 34 mm scientific explorer from a shop 

The exit pupil would be rather oversize when used in your F/4.7 scope - something around 28mm -30mm in focal length would be more effective I feel.

I've posted in your other thread on this as have others so it might be worth checking that out:

• 2 weeks later...

If you are dealing with light pollution and the DSOs you're looking for are nebula rather than galaxies, I would recommend getting good quality UHC and OIII filters to knock down the skyglow and increase apparent contrast.

If you are looking for galaxies in a light polluted sky, a car with a full tank of gas and a drive to a dark site is really your best option.  In light polluted skies, you'll only ever see the cores of galaxies.

If you are looking for high contrast objects like star clusters, magnification is your friend.  It will knock down the background skyglow and allow small clusters such as globulars to resolve into pinpoints of light.

If you've got big bucks to spend, get into night vision astronomy.  The results can be astounding.

You already have many EPS (covering all the ranges already) and you want to upgrade somewhere. The question I have is the following: Do you want to look at very faint and large nebulae like the Veil, the North America or very large star clusters or is it for smaller things like globular clusters and planetary nebulae? 

That's an important point to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

My newest - as in a week ago, is a Pentax 10mm XW. £100 cheaper than the Tele Vue Delos & reportedly comfier viewing. Eye relief of 20mm (good for wearing glasses as a necessity) and 70 degrees AFOV. Reviews find optical quality on a par with the Delos. I bought the EP to use with my 12" dobsonian & Tele Vue F5 Genesis refractor giving 120x & 50x magnifications respectively.

4 hours ago, 25585 said:

My newest - as in a week ago, is a Pentax 10mm XW. £100 cheaper than the Tele Vue Delos & reportedly comfier viewing. Eye relief of 20mm (good for wearing glasses as a necessity) and 70 degrees AFOV. Reviews find optical quality on a par with the Delos. I bought the EP to use with my 12" dobsonian & Tele Vue F5 Genesis refractor giving 120x & 50x magnifications respectively.

The Pentax XW's are excellent - I have the 10, 7, 5 and 3.5 and they provide exceedingly good views :icon_biggrin:

If you are looking for a finder / low power DSO ep, I'd go for the Lunt HDC 20mm. If you are looking for a medium power to enable you to study many DSOs, I'd also choose the Pentax XW 10mm as suggested above. Both cost about £100 on top of your budget, but you will not regret them. They are very good eyepieces.

Archived