Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    SGL 2017 SP

FLO

NEW William Optics Zenithstar-61 APO

Recommended Posts

FLO    3,713

For those who like to travel light :smile: 

The new William Optics Zenithstar 61 APO is a remarkably cute(!) doublet refractor with air-spaced fully multi-coated optics that includes an Ohara FPL-53 ED glass element so we can expect high contrast images with very low chromatic aberration. 

It has the usual William Optics fit and finish (very nice!) and is fitted a 2" R&P focuser and rotatable L-bracket.  

For only £399! 

It is even comes in three colours! 

William Optics say a 1:1 Flattener-61 is in the pipeline... 

 

william_optics_zs61_fpl53_gold_sgl.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien 13    3,307

Very nice, I think a recent topic on this scope showed that the blue might be the most popular :icon_biggrin:

Alan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Very nice, I think a recent topic on this scope showed that the blue might be the most popular :icon_biggrin:

That is interesting. We have all three colours in stock but are anticipating gold will be most popular :smile: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien 13    3,307

It does look like a lovely scope and one that might sit nicely on a Star Adventurer :icon_biggrin:

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630

This little beauty is really tempting me as an alternative to the Tak 60 I was kind of long term saving for due to it's big price tag for a small scope. The Tak has Flourite of course, but the WO61 has Synthetic fluorite fpl53, with near identical Abbe number, so I would guess the colour correction and contrast to be quite similar to the Baby Tak. 

I would be tempted by this as a scope that I can keep in my eyeopiece case, so super convenient to use for grab and go, and for widefield imaging with my EQ3. 

So tempted, I even spoke to Martin about it earlier, plus started a thread on it last week:

 

7 minutes ago, FLO said:

That is interesting. We have all three colours in stock but are anticipating gold will be most popular :smile: 

A few colour opinions on the thread above. I like the Blue but the gold is growing on me as it's quite a classic WO colour scheme. There is some good info on the scope from the WO Facebook page on the thread also, but it's not settled whether the flattener will also be a reducer or not?   

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630

I wonder if the size of this scope means you can stick two next to each other on an adjustable plate, and only need 2x diagonals instead of 6 to get a decent IPD? @Peter Drew  :icon_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremyS    359

I have a WO Zenithstar 66 Petzval that came with a WO 2inch (screw on) dielectric diagonal. Would this fit onto the new Z61? I assume the later doesn't come with a diagonal?

Jeremy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
11 minutes ago, Lockie said:

This little beauty is really tempting me as an alternative to the Tak 60 I was kind of long term saving for due to it's big price tag for a small scope. The Tak has Flourite of course, but the WO61 has Synthetic fluorite fpl53, with near identical Abbe number, so I would guess the colour correction and contrast to be quite similar to the Baby Tak. 

For those wanting genuine Fluorite we offer Borg telescopes. But, like Tak', Borg are Japanese-made (optics from Pentax and Canon) so considerably more expensive. 

My understanding is if a telescope has a genuine Fluorite optic then it (the optic) is made by Canon, regardless of the name on the tube. 

14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

There is some good info on the scope from the WO Facebook page on the thread also, but it's not settled whether the flattener will also be a reducer or not?   

We have been advised it is a 1:1 flattener, though I guess we cannot be certain until it is released. 

HTH, 

Steve 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630
15 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

This was another thread on this scope,

Alan

Well there's definitely a colour vote on that thread :happy10: If I buy a blue one I'll name it R2D2 after it's shared livery :icon_biggrin:

 

R2D2.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davey-T    8,866

Is it available with the twist lock focuser as in some of the WO images ?

Dave

5978f0f11c713_WOBaby.PNG.3c05604d095ddbe569952308d85c7c5c.PNG

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
17 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Is it available with the twist lock focuser as in some of the WO images ?

I think they offer a Rotolock to replace the existing eyepiece holder, we will investigate. 

Speaking as a retailer, I would rather they leave the design unchanged to maintain the £399 price-point. At £399, it is very attractive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davey-T    8,866
20 minutes ago, FLO said:

I think they offer a Rotolock to replace the existing eyepiece holder, we will investigate. 

Speaking as a retailer, I would rather they leave the design unchanged to maintain the £399 price-point. At £399, it is very attractive. 

I bought a WO Rotolock  for my WO110FLT and it is very good and very expensive, but might be nice to have available as an option.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630

I've not found a picture of a WO61 with the dew shield fully extended yet, only retracted all the way. I'm guessing it extends far enough to keep dew and stray light well at bay but it would be nice to see a pic with it fully extended to make sure. It's surprising what a difference a long dew shield makes to contrast, well unless you're at a dark site.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
Just now, Lockie said:

I've not found a picture of a WO61 with the dew shield fully extended yet, only retracted all the way. I'm guessing it extends far enough to keep dew and stray light well at bay but it would be nice to see a pic with it fully extended to make sure. 

 

Good point. It is still on the bench, I'll go make another photo :smile: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jonk    662

Steve, could you take a photo with a diagonal and Quark if you have one please?

This appears to be a good idea for a travel full disc solar setup, with the Star Adventurer as pointed out above.

If that were the case, the red livery would do nicely for the Ha, and blue for the CaK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630
29 minutes ago, FLO said:

Good point. It is still on the bench, I'll go make another photo :smile: 

Cool, thanks Steve :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moise212    411

I'm very interested in this if the FF will act as a reducer too, or if it could be matched with a FF/FR designed for the larger ones.

FLO, could you tell us if any of the 0.8x reducers fit? And would it be possible to test one for us?

Many thanks!

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
56 minutes ago, FLO said:

Good point. It is still on the bench, I'll go make another photo :smile: 

Here y'go (the colour balance is a little different today, I don't think the OTA is quite as white as shown below). 

william_optics_zs61_fpl53_gold%5B5%5D.jp

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
32 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Steve, could you take a photo with a diagonal and Quark if you have one please?

We don't stock the Quark, sorry. 

24 minutes ago, moise212 said:

I'm very interested in this if the FF will act as a reducer too, or if it could be matched with a FF/FR designed for the larger ones.

FLO, could you tell us if any of the 0.8x reducers fit? And would it be possible to test one for us?

We understand a dedicated 1:1 Flattener is in the pipeline, though we cannot be 100% sure until it is released (there are rumours it might be a combined reducer/flattener). 

HTH, 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lockie    3,630

Looks like there's plenty of depth to the dew shield, at least the diameter of the lens in depth. Looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
8 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Looks like there's plenty of depth to the dew shield, at least the diameter of the lens in depth. Looks good.

It extends 7 cm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLO    3,713
20 hours ago, Lockie said:

Well there's definitely a colour vote on that thread :happy10: If I buy a blue one I'll name it R2D2 after it's shared livery :icon_biggrin:

R2D2.jpg

Or.... Buy the gold one and name it Sphero BB8 :biggrin:

 

sphero_bb8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×