Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So what's causing this then (ATIK 414ex)

Nightmare evening tonight...clear skies and set up early. Spent ages polar aligning then aligning mount, centering and slewing to Wizard's nebula to get some more subs, but can't for the life of my find it....probably just one of those things and very frustrating....however, the real issue is that I started to worry when I saw the images coming back from ARTEMIS....what could be causing this glow in the corners?

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.0eae043f36577139324e94e2f8e2ea3e.jpg

I have a dew shield/light shroud on the ED80 and there are not lights on nearby that could be causing it. The images that were looping for alignment/focusing etc were not showing this. It was only after slewing to what I thought was the wizard and upping the exposure length to a couple of minutes that it appeared. I've been running a number of subs and it is appearing on them all. Really frustrating and a waste of a rare clear night. If it's not one thing it is another! :-) I have so little time for this, it is very tempting to jack it all in until I retire! :-)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I'm going to pack up.....

1 hour ago, alacant said:

What does the corresponding light frame look like without the 'Auto stretch' viewed in say, gimp or ps?

Will take a look - the data is all on my other laptop which is sat under a pile of cables that I dumped in storage last night in a huff! :-)

5 hours ago, kens said:

Untick the Pre (preview) box

I've never knowingly changed either of these settings, but will double check next time I am playing around to see if they have been hit by mistake.

Thanks

5 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Power tank low?

I get freakish problems when I'm not getting enough power.

Hunter

I use the mains via an ATIK adapter purchased from FLO and have never had any problems in the past - I'll have to have a fiddle today and see what happens.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Ken, thanks for that - yeah, I presumed that was what you meant, but wasn't sure if I had pressed it by accident, or whether it is checked by default...gives me something to explore later though! Thanks

13 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

Nightmare evening tonight...clear skies and set up early. Spent ages polar aligning then aligning mount, centering and slewing to Wizard's nebula to get some more subs, but can't for the life of my find it....probably just one of those things and very frustrating....however, the real issue is that I started to worry when I saw the images coming back from ARTEMIS....what could be causing this glow in the corners?

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.0eae043f36577139324e94e2f8e2ea3e.jpg

I have a dew shield/light shroud on the ED80 and there are not lights on nearby that could be causing it. The images that were looping for alignment/focusing etc were not showing this. It was only after slewing to what I thought was the wizard and upping the exposure length to a couple of minutes that it appeared. I've been running a number of subs and it is appearing on them all. Really frustrating and a waste of a rare clear night. If it's not one thing it is another! :-) I have so little time for this, it is very tempting to jack it all in until I retire! :-)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I'm going to pack up.....

hi mark you and me seem to go down the same path and our paths cross now and again, i know how you feel i havent been able to image now for 6 or 7 weeks maybe more,spent more nights with nothing to show ,and really fed up,especially with time limits and cloud limits ,keep going mate,i carry on regardless (my missus thinks i am mad),but every now and then you just get that shot where you think did i really take that,hope you sort your little problem soon,suppose like me your thinking where could i put a pier and have a semi permanent mount,to save time setting up with the very little time you have,chin up your not alone:-)

3 hours ago, iwols said:

hi mark you and me seem to go down the same path and our paths cross now and again, i know how you feel i havent been able to image now for 6 or 7 weeks maybe more,spent more nights with nothing to show ,and really fed up,especially with time limits and cloud limits ,keep going mate,i carry on regardless (my missus thinks i am mad),but every now and then you just get that shot where you think did i really take that,hope you sort your little problem soon,suppose like me your thinking where could i put a pier and have a semi permanent mount,to save time setting up with the very little time you have,chin up your not alone:-)

Yeah, been wanting to try out some Ha imaging an started on the Wizard a few months ago, but have onyl managed two sessions since beginning of June. I know I should be happy that I got 30 minute subs and made the most of the short imaging time for June/July, but it was bad enough not being able to find the target last night, let alone the odd images coming back! I am sure I will get it to work again and keep going, but it sometimes just drives me insane - just feels like a wasted evening! Onwards and upwards! Good luck!

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Have you tried calibrating and stacking the subs, they might be OK and it's normal stretched vignetting pre calibration.  

Carole 

Like your optimism Carole...I didn't even make it to taking any subs! :-) All-in-all a pretty bad session....still it did mean I was up late on my own and got a cuddle with our new rabbit! :-)

In case it helps, this is a JPEG of one of the 180s subs I took last night while testing things....

image.thumb.jpg.86aff273df26df0af13ba7800b501883.jpg

I can't imagine there are any light sources causing this problem as I was imaging from the same place I pretty much always image, and there was nothing obvious causing trouble with the guiding scope/finder scope....will go check all my joints are tight now!

lol....  schoolboy error - Preview box ticked!!!

That box changes the way the chip is read out, and on my 383L+ it gives one very bright corner. The "Pre" box really only needs to be used when focusing/framing cameras with a high pixel count (ie: those that take a few seconds to read out). The 383 images can take up to 5 seconds to download without preview, but with it - it takes about a second (which is what you need when focusing and framing).

But in your case, uncheck it... then never touch it again ;)

Case closed methinks!

Thanks to you and Ken then I guess....although it has been a long time since I was a schoolboy! Although not so long since I made an error.....I think what might have happened is I use Google Remote Desktop on my mobile while I am centering targets so I may have pressed the PRE check box at some point.....will make sure I switch it off next time I use it.... then all I need to do is figure out how to find the nebula again! :-)

8 hours ago, toxic said:

also untic auto stretch it tends to show an over exposed image on the screen and use the sliders manually 

Thanks Chris....I'll have a look at that as well next time I am out - pretty sure I have always had that ticked, so maybe I have been making life more difficult than it needs to be all this time!?

Archived