Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A featureless Sun? 25th July 2017

Stu

I have a day off today and was up early so had the white light scope out to catch the good seeing before things hot up.

At first glance it was pretty boring, nothing significant to see. The seeing is better than it has been for a while, varying from average to excellent but generally very good.

There is a lovely area of faculae at around 4 O'clock which has that 3D look I sometimes get with them. Surface granulation was beautiful at high power (x200 approx) and, close to the centre of the disk but I guess in the direction of 10 O'clock, there is a wonderful little group of up to 8 or even 10 pores amongst the cells. EDIT Make that about 14! An even better spell of seeing came through, although I suspect they are changing all the time. To me they look like a kite shape with tail flying downwards, but maybe I'm just a bit strange ;)

There are several more dotted across the surface, almost just like dense knots of smaller cells but interesting to view.

Catching these small features, with the degree of detail available makes white light solar interesting at almost any time. Just now the seeing steadied for a minute or two and the detail was quite staggering.

If that is what floats your boat then it's well worth a look.

I put the Baader film on the ST102 earlier and whilst I could see the bright faculae at the 4 o'clock position, I could see no evidence of the pores that you saw Stu.

Seeing was not brilliant for the most part but every now and then there were periods of good seeing.

Ade

On 25/07/2017 at 22:54, AdeKing said:

I put the Baader film on the ST102 earlier and whilst I could see the bright faculae at the 4 o'clock position, I could see no evidence of the pores that you saw Stu.

Seeing was not brilliant for the most part but every now and then there were periods of good seeing.

Ade

Glad you got out Ade. They were small and needed high power to see. It's nice that we are having a few spells of better seeing at the moment.

Archived