NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Butterfly nebula mosaic *Finally making progress*

swag72

While there's something very satisfying about a mosaic, it's also rather soul destroying in my experience.... Night after night of the same thing albeit a few pixels in a different direction!!! :) 

I did have a plan when I started this...... 10x1800s in each pane in each filters, so that would be a grand total of 90 hours ... I knew I'd give up before that point, who am I trying to kid that I have any staying power at all. So I thought I'd post the 4 panes so far... This is 16x1800s in each pane in Ha. I've decided that when I get the dual Taks up and running, I'll collect the OIII and SII in them in a couple of nights, register them and that will be the colour sorted!!! Then I can use the higher res Ha over the top. Many corners to be cut then :D 

The pre processing and mosaic stitching has been done in the new APP software..... I've had a few questions for the developer along the way, but it's all fitted together rather well I think. Processing done in PS :)

Details:

Mount: Mesu 200
Scope: TMB 152/1200
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Astrodon

Mosaic_4 panes_SGL.jpg

Astounding image so far, really smooth Sara. No staying power ???????? who are you trying to kid lol, your data collection is second to none & it's the pure dedication you put into each image that makes them what they are :icon_biggrin:

As for myself since I got in Solar work I hold my hands up & admit I gave up on the night time sleep losing hobby, but i'll be back.........one day.

Looking forward to seeing the end rendition complete with colour data.

Atb

Thanks Ewan! It's kind of you to say.. but really I do feel like I'm letting myself down by cutting the corners that I am planning :( The colour data will be a while in coming, but it can always wait until next year :)

I really admire your perseverance on projects like this,

obviously it goes without saying you have a lot more clear sky time than us Uk folks

but none the less, I take my hat off to you for these and the many other ultra long

projects that you start, Its looking great  so far, It looks like your on the home run

Nicely done

Paul 

Well done Sara, it's great to see you getting productive with your new triplet beast.

You should be ashamed of yourself shirking the data collection target of 90 hours :evil4:.  It'll be super whatever your patience allows you to collect - great optics and scope and you can't fail.

16 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Some serious staying power required for something like this. I get itchy after collecting ha and want to move on for the next night. This will be stunning when complete and will be well worth the effort.

I'm generally happy to do a *few* hours of data collection!! The completed 6 pane Ha mosaic has a total of 48 hours of data..... I certainly don't have the staying power to times that by 3!!!

14 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Well done Sara, it's great to see you getting productive with your new triplet beast.

You should be ashamed of yourself shirking the data collection target of 90 hours :evil4:.  It'll be super whatever your patience allows you to collect - great optics and scope and you can't fail.

Thanks Barry - It has become more than 90 hours now if I get OIII and SII in the TMB!!! So I'll cut that down considerably when I get the dual rig up and running again :) 

14 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Looks awesome so far!

Hopefully if you keep posting the data and everyone appreciates it enough I'm sure you will get there..but strewth..90 hours of data! Staggering! Keep it up Sara..

Thanks! It's all done now... in mono anyway!!! Phew :) And a mere snip of 48 hours!

The Butterfly is one of those interesting nebulae which has a very distinct and coherent shape but which is too large for many amateur imaging rigs. I think of it as a small nebula, only big. (OK, I  know what I mean!:icon_albino:) It's nice to see it getting the attention it deserves. The big bonus from using the 6 inch refractor on it is that it keeps the star sizes down (even more so with an Astrodon 3) so keeping a better sense of scale for the nebula itself.

A tasty detail: you've captured the genuine illumination created by the bright star, upper right. I wonder if this is ionization or reflection. Since this is in Ha it's probably ionization I suppose - but it certainly isn't lens flare!

Olly

On 08/07/2017 at 09:19, ollypenrice said:

......Since this is in Ha it's probably ionization I suppose - but it certainly isn't lens flare!....

Lens flare? We'll have none of that around here :) 

Just now, ollypenrice said:

Indeed not! And it clearly isn't, it's detail often swamped by the glow from the star in lesser optics.

Lesser optics? We'll have none of them either :D As for those mirror thingies *shock* .... :D 

9 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice work Sara.  Only mistake I can see is the fact you 'made a plan :) ' that never works out well for me!

The new set up looks to be doing a super job.

Many thanks Paddy - I'm afraid that my original plan didn't stick.... I got far too lazy as I knew that I would.... so onto plan B :) 

Archived