Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

What you really need for cutting the holes of course is not a router, but a chain mortiser.  Imagine a vertically-mounted mini chainsaw combined with the mechanism of a pillar drill.  A very cool (and wickedly dangerous) bit of kit.

James

?. Never heard of one of those but sounds a serious bit of kit!

We had a barn re-roofed last year.  The timber structure was completely replaced, but the builder took the four existing huge elm A-frames and rebuilt three decorative ones out of what was salvageable.  I'd never seen a chain mortiser before then.  It was amazing.  Cut an 6"x3" mortise through a piece of timber 12" thick?  Takes a couple of minutes, most of which is lining up the timber.  Sufficiently scary to know that I really don't need to own one though ?

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Sufficiently scary to know that I really don't need to own one though ?

James

Think I'll stick to my drill and chisel. I'm lethal enough with that as it is without any further encouragement ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gina said:

Definitely!!  Any sort of chain saw is decidedly dangerous!!

Absolutely........But treat them with respect and dress appropriately and they are a wonderful tool :thumbright:

61366658_ReadytoChhainsaw.thumb.jpg.04dbf23ba325dad826a232f70787f8b0.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yes, I know, I've used one and I am still complete with all fingers toes etc.  I'm always very careful.  Musn't let protective clothing make you less careful!!

More playgroup fun with my grandson today so not much time working on the observatory. Did manage to complete the second wheel beam this evening though, which I was pleased to finish. Also started to measure-up and align the V-track on the walls but light was fading by this time so this will have to wait until tomorrow (after I've had a visit from my local plumber to have another look at my broken showers ? ).

I've realised I would benefit from making a jig to get the spacing of the 2 tracks accurate across the width of the obsy. As most of the width is fresh air, simple measurement using a tape is tricky and prone to error I think. I'll be much happier, and it will probably be easier in the long run, making up a solid jig.

So here's an exciting picture of two wheel beams ready to be raised to the roof ? 

IMG_1816.jpg

• Like 2

A random question to all the FH Brundle users out there - should I grease or lubricate the track at all, or leave it dry? The wheels roll smoothly as it is but wondered if lubrication would improve performance further or help prevent the track oxidising over time?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

A random question to all the FH Brundle users out there - should I grease or lubricate the track at all, or leave it dry? The wheels roll smoothly as it is but wondered if lubrication would improve performance further or help prevent the track oxidising over time?

Thanks. 

Dry, Kev.

14 minutes ago, RayD said:

Ha ha just a few to go then, Kev.

Looking really good, Sir!

Indeed! Thanks. 

My friendly plumbers been and gone.

Time for some observatory action ? . What could possibly go wrong ?

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks. 

Left mine dry. :)

Thanks guys - dry track it is!

Well, after spending half the day trying to find the size timber that I needed, I eventually managed to actually do some building. Wickes was hopeless for the longer lengths I wanted for the apex and north and south cross beams, so had to do some driving around. Eventually found what I needed but didn't get home until early afternoon, and then with lunch etc etc, where did the day go?

Today's update - I made a "jig" to help me ensure the two tracks would be parallel. Unsurprisingly, it took longer to design and make the jig than it did to align the tracks and screw them down. For the moment I've only put one screw in each end, just in case I need to adjust. The acid test is to make the outer frame of the roof and actually check that it runs square. Once the track was fixed, the wheel beams were put on the track and joined with temporary cross beams. One end was screwed to the wheel beam, the other was just clamped to the beam to allow me to adjust if necessary. Few images below of the alignment jig at the south end of the track, and at the northernmost point above the warm room. It was then I realised that I needed to cut and add the extra metre of track needed to complete the entire track, so I could check the wheel alignment along the entire distance it will need to move. D'oh.  I packed up before screwing the extra track extension, so this is where I'll pick-up tomorrow.

I have to say though - the roof frame moves so sweetly with the slightest touch - it's completely satisfying! Even my son was impressed! Hoping to make more progress tomorrow.

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

• Like 2

Good to hear that it's working so well, especially given that I'll be using pretty much the same solution for my own roof :D

I'm beginning to think that "It always takes longer than you planned" should be some sort of motto for home observatory builders...

James

• Like 2

Oh, and whilst I remember... Wickes.  They used to be great.  I always preferred to go there before any of the other local DIY sheds.  At some point recently however, our local one has become utterly useless.  It's now got to the point where I'll try all the others first.  It feels like they've just become a kitchen and bathroom showroom now :(

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Oh, and whilst I remember... Wickes.  They used to be great.  I always preferred to go there before any of the other local DIY sheds.  At some point recently however, our local one has become utterly useless.  It's now got to the point where I'll try all the others first.  It feels like they've just become a kitchen and bathroom showroom now :(

James

Agree there. Quality of their timber can be horrendous. I was after 3m lengths. Some of it was so twisted it would hardly fit in the rack. Ended up in Jewson and picked up 3.6m lengths that were pretty much dead straight.

• Like 1

True!!  I've found the same.  Though I haven't been to either lately.  We used to have a cheap shop in Honiton called Rainbows that sold timber amongst all sorts of other useful stuff.  The land they were on got "obtained" by Tesco who wanted to put a huge supermarket on the site but never got planning permission due to local protest.

Another day that turned out with only limited time on the observatory build. And there was me thinking I'd have the whole day to myself ? . Well, the non-build time was to visit family, and to play taxi for my daughter who can't drive yet while her ankle heals, so I guess I shouldn't get too selfish - it's nice to help others ? .

So the time I did have was spent finishing off laying the V track. Bit fiddly getting the short extension pieces adequately lined up with the longer lengths already partly fixed but eventually got them in a position where I was reasonably happy and inserted all coach screws to all four sections. A very small lip on the join between sections needed a bit of filing, but the wheels now cross the join with hardly a hiccup.

One thing I've noticed now that I can roll the roof frame along the entire length of the obsy is that the south-eastern wheel lifts slightly part way along the track. After much rolling, pondering and head-scratching I've decided to leave it as it is. With 6 wheels I think it's impossible to get all 6 to be in full contact at all times. The reality is that at any one time there's likely to be only 3-4 wheels in good contact with the track. Once the rest of the roof is built there will be a lot more weight which may improve contact as the wood bends slightly under the weight. So, I'll keep eye on this. As it is, the frame rolls really easily along the whole length; in fact I can roll the frame with my little finger. I'm sure it won't be this easy once it's fully loaded but this is a good sign.

Before packing up I cut out the EPDM over the warm room ventilation holes in case I forgot later on, and temporarily fitted the soffit vents to hopefully stop creepies setting up home in my nice dark and warm roof space ? .

No time to start cutting the north and south beams to replace the temporary ones currently serving to hold the frame together. A job for tomorrow....

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 17:54, RayD said:

Absolutely........But treat them with respect and dress appropriately and they are a wonderful tool :thumbright:

61366658_ReadytoChhainsaw.thumb.jpg.04dbf23ba325dad826a232f70787f8b0.jpg

I can count the number of chain saw accidents I've had on the fingers of one hand :grin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

After years of struggling to start various motor saws I bought a DeWalt rechargeable chain saw.

Now nothing is safe, the whole area looks like a WW1 battlefield and birds cross the road to avoid me!   :icon_eek:

• Haha 2