NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Ultrablock with TeleVu Delite

I have just purchased an Orion ultrablock filter to enhance my views of nebulae.  However, while the filter screws on nicely to my Plossyl EPs, it fits very loosely on the ends of my Delite EPs to the point that I do not trust using it.  Anyone else notice this problem? 

Yes, I have noticed this. I presume it's due to poor tolerance on some filters and accurate machining on the Delite. That said, it could always be the other way around. I tend to use either 2" filters or an adapter to use 1.25" filters in 2" threads as it's a faff keep changing the filter from eyepiece to eyepiece.

Indeed - I've noticed this before with the TeleVue®-line of eyepieces. Not always - but enough to make them problematic. I think TeleVue' is trying to steer people to force us to only buy within their product-line? Maybe?

Who knows.....

Dave

10 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Indeed - I've noticed this before with the TeleVue®-line of eyepieces. Not always - but enough to make them problematic. I think TeleVue' is trying to steer people to force us to only buy within their product-line? Maybe?

Who knows.....

Dave

Don't get paranoid Dave, I've got a 2" Baader filter that screws nicely into the 31mmT5 Nagler but only goes about 1 & 1/2 turns into a Revelation diagonal.

It's more like shoddy quality control issues, I've got various T adapters that won't screw together despite ostensibly being the same thread.

Dave

I have filters by Omega DGM, Lumicon and Astronomik in 2" and 1.25" sizes. They all seem to fit Tele Vue and Pentax eyepiece barrels well.

I also have a few less expensive filters by GSO and others. Here the fit in the above eyepieces is a little more "variable" :rolleyes2:

Archived