SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hoping for planetary DeLites in 2019

alanjgreen

After discovering that my Borg 107FL could take the magnification provided by the Ethos 3.7mm with ease, I have been working (or waiting...) for the chance to make a few changes to my "planetary eyepiece" department for 2019.

After a bit of a wait (>4 months), I finally grabbed the chance to get a second hand 4mm DeLite from astrobuysell (I have been looking for one of these since the review by @iPeace).

The recent pre-Christmas TeleVue sale allowed me to bag the rare 3mm DeLite at a discount.

I really liked the Ethos 3.7mm but as it was rendered redundant by my plan, it had to go and luckily it has covered the cost of the two new DeLite's!

[The two new DeLites are pictured with a 5mm DeLite that I picked up second hand last summer.]

delite1.jpg.cf42fbd0bbcec75e3f2fec9e07e42a18.jpg

delite2.jpg.7568203699a152d333d7c1d79723bce2.jpg

delite3.jpg.d58d4f6fa1b576f58de5779aa21f3433.jpg

The 4mm is wearing a 'Baader 2"-1.25" low profile adapter for Steeltrack' (which I find very good, as I don't like to mess with adapters when wearing gloves!)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-low-profile-eyepiece-adapter-for-steeltrack.html

Just need some PLANETS now!

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 7

Nice little set Alan.
I like the look of the DeLite's so much so I have gone for a 5mm to see what they are like.
The lighter weight is part of the appeal to me as well as the usual TV quality.

You could of use yours on the Moon sooner than a wait for night time planets.
Venus early am of course.

I take it that they cut through cloud well? ?

• Like 2

Well done. :happy11: The 'short' DeLites are just SO nice (this is no judgement of the 'longer' ones)... if what they do for me in a Borg 71FL is anything to go by, you won't be missing that 3.7mm Ethos.

The fun (and torment) really starts when you get the chance to compare them with a 3.4mm Vixen HR... I'm glad I don't have to make an outright choice. :angel9:

I could do with a half-decent night out, though, it's been so long.

Hope you get yours soon with the new EPs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iPeace said:

Well done. :happy11: The 'short' DeLites are just SO nice (this is no judgement of the 'longer' ones)... if what they do for me in a Borg 71FL is anything to go by, you won't be missing that 3.7mm Ethos.

The fun (and torment) really starts when you get the chance to compare them with a 3.4mm Vixen HR... I'm glad I don't have to make an outright choice. :angel9:

I could do with a half-decent night out, though, it's been so long.

Hope you get yours soon with the new EPs.

I'd love to know more of a conclusive result from the Vixen vs Delite comparison. At some point I'm considering a high power eyepiece in the 3 to 4mm range, but given my floaters I'm likely to want to binoview. I suspect the Delite may be the better choice from a comfort perspective, but I do like to have the best performance for solar white light.

The other issue is whether I would be better with a 5mm Delite and still using a GPC to compensate for the prism CA in the binoviewers. Trouble is it is an expensive experiment to try!

• Like 2

Nice choices Alan :smiley:

I've yet to use a DeLite. A few tempting ones popped up for sale during the Xmas period but I resisted.

I had a 3mm Radian for a while and that was good but I expect the Delite of that focal length would exceed it by some margin being a later design using newer glass types and coatings.

Currently I use a 2-4mm TV Nagler zoom or a Pentax XW 3.5mm to cover that FL and they seem pretty good to me but there is always room for a little more improvement I'm sure :smiley:

I ran an Ethos SX 3.7mm alongside the Pentax 3.5mm for several months but eventually concluded that the XW was just a touch sharper and scatter free. So my Ethos SX's (I had the 4.7 too) went to other homes as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I suspect the Delite may be the better choice from a comfort perspective, but I do like to have the best performance

For what it's worth (as always):

Whenever I use an HR, it invariably gives me a 'wow, that's nice' - no matter how much I thought I was expecting it. Yes, the FOV is what it is, and if you're nudging manually you have to work for it, but it's just worth it. The eye relief doesn't bother me; I suppose it feels like using a Nagler Zoom.

Then there's the DeLites. They are absolutely luxurious to use. So nice, you'd feel guilty if they didn't cost so much. Or maybe not, but you understand. And the view is so good, you don't mind not using the HR...until you use the HR again, of course... :rolleyes2:

Not being helpful here, I guess...

I'm somehow inclined to think that the HR is for those who like 'orthos'. Thing is, I've never used an ortho myself, so who am I to say?

Given that you like your orthos and your Nagler Zoom, I can't help but think you'd really, really like an HR. Not that you'd regret a DeLite...

I'll stop now. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 years later...