Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Tonight

If you get some clear sky tonight (50% cloud predicted here), worth a look at Jupiter as there is a double transit/double shadow transit/GRS transit from twilight onwards. this is a SkySafari screenshot:-

Chris

joopsim.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lukebl said:

I've been really looking forward to this event, but after a week of lovely clear skies it's now wind, rain and clouds. Bloomin' typical!

I notice that the forecast here has been updated to 100% cloud............ Still, as forecasts are often wrong, we may be lucky!

Chris

That's for the heads up Chris.

It's not looking good so far :(, transparency might be good after all that rain though! Fingers crossed for some clear spells.

IMG_2308.PNG

I got to see it, but in poor to average seeing. The shadow from Io was clearer than europas shadow, and the red spot was clearly visible right above (using a dobsonian telescope) the two shadows. It was very nice to see!

18 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I got to see it, but in poor to average seeing. The shadow from Io was clearer than europas shadow, and the red spot was clearly visible right above (using a dobsonian telescope) the two shadows. It was very nice to see!

Well done - you didn't go to bed because of school then?

Chris

I was lucky to spot the transits through thin haze, but during rather good seeing conditions with the 18" Obsession and 10 resp. 6 mm Orthoscopics, giving mags of 205x and 341x. When I started observing at 22h25min CEST, Jupiter showed a lot of details within the equatorial bands and a very obvious GRS, but both moons strangely were not easy to make out; Io could just be glimpsed repeatedly for a few seconds; Europa was easier at least during the last fifteen minutes before the end of the transit and showed whitish bright. The shadow transits, however, were very  contrasty and obvious, Io's shadow was more conspicuous and "larger" than Europa's. A very nice sight, especially after Europa had just resolved from the planet's disc and was separated from it by a tiny gap. Some upcoming clouds, so I went over to the moon; with the good seeing conditions I counted 10 craterlets on Plato's floor, down to 1,0 km diameter (at 341x). Tried to split Antares, but it was way too low, scintillating in rainbow colours. A nice hour of observing in an early summer's night; some bats and the first (sedentary - female) glow worms.

Hope some more were able to spot this event.

Thanks for reading

Stephan

...and another one tonight, from 10:00 onwards. The weather looks reasonably good from late evening, so some of us might get the chance to see the event. This is a screenshot from SkySafari for 12:30:-

Chris

Mon-Tues.jpg

Good luck with tonight Chris, and all. I'm travelling tonight so won't be able to try for this one unfortunately. I look forward to reading your reports though :) 

Looking good here ATM :grin:

Europa has just started it's transit with the GRS well onto the disk. Io will follow soon and then their shadows. Hope it stays clear for this sequence of events - it's a lovely sight just now :smiley:

I'm busy making a start on preparing a talk for the AS later in the year at the mo but now I've seen this I want to go out for the shadow transits in a minute, skies looking nice and clear too so a shame to waste them. 

I'm torn though, really enjoying doing some research but really want to see the show. mmmm what to do??

Quite a sight wasn't it? I had occasional views of the two moons as they crossed the disk, and followed Io's shadow about one third of the way across as the GRS moved to the edge of the disk, but didn't catch Europa's shadow as Jupiter was heading into some trees at that stage.

The seeing for Saturn was pretty good too, with a razor-sharp Cassini despite the altitude - shame it's so low in the sky!

Chris

It was lovely. I went out after posting to catch the show! At 150x GRS was looking good at the start of the session hanging just off the limb, I followed Io's shadow about half way across the disk until just after the 2 moons moved off and Europas shadow had started its journey across the disk. The seeing was good here as well. Very nice indeed, thanks for the heads up Chris. 

Yes, thanks for the "heads up" as well Chris :smiley:

I stayed up until both shadows were on the disk but then some pesky clouds came over so I packed up. I'm waiting for Saturn to be visible a little earlier - being so low it's hidden by houses and trees until around 2:00 am at the moment.

Having experienced planetary viewing with the targets much higher in the sky in the past, despite some good views of the planets this year, it's difficult not to compare them with past years :undecided:

I wish I'd had the scopes and experience I have now about a decade ago when Saturn was really high in the sky.

Archived