Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galaxies galore. 18/5/17

domstar

Oh what a night. Out alone without even a scarf. I wanted to try the Virgo galaxies while it still got dark before (late) bedtime.

So while I was waiting I had a nice look at some doubles. Old favourites Castor, Algieba, Porrima and for the first time Izar. My finderscope was accidentally perfectly alligned so 6mm (150 times) was always there without having to switch to a wider field. Then I had a quick look at M 53 and it was clear so I decided it was time to track down those galaxies.

So many thanks to @Davesellers for the advice on where to start and 'galaxy hopping' as he described it. And there they were. Naked eye Vindemiatrix- finderscope Vir 30- a tiny push up and M 60 was there next to M 59. Across to M 58. Back and forward, back and forward, up a bit across a bit, a bit of red torch on roughly drawn star map and ten Messier galaxies (I missed out on M 98). To be honest I'm not sure if it was M 86 and M 84 or perhaps a different pair but I'm claiming them and a later look at stellarium makes me think it probably was. When I'd finished the whole sky had moved to the right and it had got fully dark.

Then I remembered reading a report from a big dob party when the writer mentioned viewing the Leo triplet after looking at fainter galaxies and being impressed with how bright it seemed, so I tried the same trick albeit with a 4 inch. It was a great tip. I'd seen M 65 and M 66 a few times before but never the Hamburger, but this time it was there looking all thin and flat. I was so pleased. Then back to the Virgo galaxies just to prove it was no fluke. 

I usually round off evenings like this with a half-hearted attempt at something I haven't researched properly so I had an unsuccessful scan around for M 81 and M 82. But I finished off with a cracker- my first look at the double double in Lyra. Nothing at 90 times but glorious at 150.

So two days later I'm still feeling the buzz. 11 new galaxies and 2(3) beautiful new doubles. Next time to actually observe them a bit more.

Thanks for reading.

(An elated) Dominic

Hi Dominic,

Congratulations on a great night.  It's great when it all comes together. There really is no substitute for a dark site and the satisfaction of star (or galaxy) hopping successfully.  

John

Congrats on a great session.

Vindemiatrix is a Nice starting point for picking up numerous galaxies in this area of the nightsky.

So many galaxies pop up, that you rarely give each one of them nearly enough observing time.

Rune

Excellent report Dominic. A very successful evening.

You should definitely give M81/82 more of try to nail them, lovely pair together and I think M82 takes higher power well too.

3 hours ago, domstar said:

So two days later I'm still feeling the buzz. 11 new galaxies and 2(3) beautiful new doubles. Next time to actually observe them a bit more.

(An elated) Dominic

That buzz is what this hobby is all about.  When you feel it, there's nothing like it!

Doug.

I had been looking for M81 and M82 for over year it was only when I went to a star party and met my good friend Nick (cotterless45) who pointed out I had been looking in wrong place. I was going from phecda to Dubhe and the same distance again which is wrong have to do this then Tap a bit west and it's there. 

37 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I was going from phecda to Dubhe and the same distance again which is wrong have to do this then Tap a bit west and it's there. 

Thanks. This sort of info is why I visit the forum. (I'm off buying or even coveting astro stuff for a while)

Great report Dom!   Please to see that "galaxy-hopping" worked out well for you. :)

That's a great tip about going to bright(er) galaxies after tough edge of vision objects.  All the Messier objects look outstandingly bright and easy afterwards I find.  It just proves that training your eye to see really works and not just on the same night too -  With practice and more sessions going for really faint objects, naturally the brighter objects you'll see more detail etc.

Archived