Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did I split Zeta Herculis?

I was out  with my 100ED last night and got some rock steady views of Jupiter. I thought that I would try the elusive Zeta H. It seemed to split reasonably readily but I was only using 90x mag (10mm Ethos) and by all the reports in SGL this shouldn't have been enough for this tricky double. But what would delude me? There doesn't seem to be anything that would give the false appearance of a split. Seeing was very good but I'm doubting my own observations now - I'll just have to try again......

8 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

But what would delude me? There doesn't seem to be anything that would give the false appearance of a split.

How many whiskies had you had at this point, Kerry? :lol:

I've been splitting this one with  my ED120 and 130mm triplet but I've needed around 250x - 300x. I've possibly just about done it with my Tak 100 but it's not as clear. This is a sketch I made of the pair with my ED120 a little while back. This was done at 330x:

zherc.jpg

The forecast for tonight around 10pm looks pretty good Kerry :happy8: I think I will get my kit ready and give it a go.... unfortunately there is still no alcohol for me :happy6:

I ought to add that I find this one of the most challenging doubles to split even when it is high in the sky. As well as the tiny separation of just 1.1 arc seconds, the pair are unequal in brightness with the primary being mag 2.9 and the secondary mag 5.5 which adds to the difficulty in splitting it. I make the primary to be lemon yellow in colour while the primary is a sort of grey colour. It sits on the 1st diffraction ring with my ED120 and almost appears to be stuck to the side of the airey disk of the primary star.

If you have done it at 90x Kerry, absolutely superb result :icon_biggrin:

This has been a target that has repeatedly defeated me in any scope! I'm sure I will get it one night but I'm sure the seeing will need to be more than excellent!

1 minute ago, John said:

I ought to add that I find this one of the most challenging doubles to split even when it is high in the sky. as well as the tiny separation of just 1.1 arc seconds, the pair are unequal in brightness with the primary being mag 2.9 and the secondary mag 5.5 which adds to the difficulty in splitting it.

If you have done it at 90x Kerry, absolutely superb result :icon_biggrin:

Yes John - everyone seems to emphasise how difficult it is and I've tried before with the Vixen 150 without success. I was confident last night but not this morning! I'll try again  - perhaps sans Soave! 

Theory, based on the human eye resolving power, says that the minimum magnification for a split of Zeta Her is (180 to 150)/Separation in arcsec for an equal magnitude doublet, with 150 being for exceptional eyesight, and 180 at the poorer end. This works out at about x140 to x170.

As Zeta Her is mags 2.8 and 5.4, it should need a bit more than the theoretical value. I need x180 or x270 to get the best view. Maybe in Soave (also a personal favourite) you've found the perfect medication for increasing eye resolution?

Chris

There's a few doubles in Hercules which are split nicely at 100x in small telescopes...  I wonder if you were observing one of them ?  Only a suggestion in view of enjoying a nice glass earlier !!

andrew

Thanks Chris and Andrew- I was relying on goto for identification so it is completely possible, given the Soave factor, that I was simply looking at the wrong flippin' star? I am now convinced by everyone's comments that I did not split Zeta Herculis. Never mind; onward and upward! 

3 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

There is one other possibility, which I favour: I have discovered a nova which just happens to be almost in line of sight with Zeta H.

Yes, I like that one.

Lets go with that - sounds much more exciting ! :icon_biggrin:

These challenges are quite interesting to resolve. You can try high magnification and play with focussing the diffractions. Try mega magnification , some filters or some aperture reduction. Even moving the target around the fov can work. It's also something which comes very easily after many hours !

Best results that I've had have been with a friend to confirm where he reckoned the secondary is .

I get tempted by a hot chocolate at the front, but nothing stronger !

old Nick.

Archived