NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

observatroy

sawdust

My D.I.Y observatory. It costs less than a good eyepiece, €68, and that includes the wheels. I find it great protection from the wind,and light from the house, plus it keeps the dew off my eyepieces and laptop. Its also good for keeping my large cup of soup warmer for longer :( ! Its real cosy on a cold breezy night! Its made from quarter inch ply and 2" x 1" timber which makes it really light. After a long night observing I can pull the box down over my dob and leave it until morning.I find it great what do you think?

8007_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8008_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8009_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8010_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Since i made this simple box observatory i find observing more pleasurable and spend a lot longer at it.if the weather ever clears up i think i will move out of the house and into the box :) .

yes glennbech its very easy to turn. The four castors on each corner rotate 180 degrees. I can move it quite a bit while sitting inside. If I want to move it alot, I just take out the chair and rotate the box around the telescope

hi algol. When its not in use, I lie it down so the wind can't blow it about. I will also have to give it a good coat of paint to protect the plywood. It would also be a good idea to glue light batons over the ingrain of the plywood as rain can get in there and when it freezes, can expand and de-laminate the plywood. That should take care of the weather.

Archived