Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific 20mm 100 Degree

I finally got a chance to try my newest widefield EP and I'm very pleased it seems I made the right choice.

I setup at around 21:30 last night a bit early but I couldn't wait any longer.

Once setup and aligned i had the usually targets to go at including a very bright moon nearby.

The first thing that hits you with this EP is the size and weight of it, it's very long i.e. Only just fits in my eyepiece try without knocking the base above and the weight is substantially more then my 13E.

But I had no problems with using and no issues with the scope dropping, but it is something to keep in mind.

So onto the observation I started with Jupiter which was close to the moon and was poor seeing really I could make out the bands and 3 of the moons and detail at the top of Jupiter but that's about it.

I popped in my 13E for comparison and it was a similar story maybe because of the increased mag slight more detail but nothing to shout about.

Onto my next target what else but the moon which was a healthy 72% luminosity and especially bright tonight.

The moon was lovely to observe I couldn't help but compare to my previous ES 24mm 68D,  I do feel this EP offers better contrast and detail on the moon and the view isn't as warm but not as cool as the ethos.

Compared with the ethos almost as good detail and very bright and clear due to more light getting to my eye.

Onto my next test and for this one no comparison M44 was simply stunning through the ES, stars were bright points right to the edge of the FOV which was huge.

Onto my final 2 targets old favourites M3 and M5 which were instantly seen through the 20mm even with the moon out, I could easily make out the central bulge and the stars that surrounded it very impressed with its performance.

All in all very happy with the performance and overall feel of the EP, without a doubt worth the bargain price I paid for it.

Clear Skies ??✨??

Richard

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

Excellent report Richard :icon_biggrin:

What scope were you using it in byt the way ?

I had the ES 20 / 100 for a while I thought it really exellent. I took the chance to move to a 21mm Ethos in due course but in all honesty the differences between the 2 are very, very slight indeed.

These 20-something 100's are an eyepiece that can be kept in the focuser virtually all night for galaxy hunting sessions :icon_biggrin:

I was using it in my C6 with my new Altair Astro Lightwave 2" Dielectric Diagonal Push Fit and Baader 2" Clicklock which made a big difference when using the ethos to.

I did consider saving for a 21E but the price is to much for me and I went of your recommendation and a few others and I enjoyed the view the ES 24mm 68D offered so when it came up I couldn't resist.

Its certainly been a month of buying/selling though I'm done for now haha apart from the Celestron Luminos 2" 2.5 Barlow which is coming today ?

Richard

Having just let one of these go, I know just how good they are. Very nice eyepiece and I'm sure you will enjoy it in most scopes you own in future.

Very good report :). The ES20 is the only eyepiece I`ve used for dso`s this Winter/spring (8"F6 dob). And like John says: great for Galaxy hunting. And great for open clusters.

Rune

If my scopes were all F/8 or slower I'd probably not be able justify the additional cost of Ethos eyepieces at all. I mostly use them in my F/5.3 dob. Having owned an ES 24 / 68 recently I reckon that the pure optical performance differences between it and the 20mm / 100 would be virtually invisible in an F/10 SCT but the 100 gives you that little bit of additional true field of course.  If you plan to get a dob in the future then the 13mm Ethos and 20mm / 100 ES will be a formidable pair :icon_biggrin:

Richard a very good report and having the ES and Ethos are going to give many hours of observing delight. These 100 degree EPs are really excellent for DSO hunting. My main EPs in my 12" Dob and 8" Orion VX8 are the 20mm, 13mm and 9mm all 100 degree.

21 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

I have looked at dobs and I may get one one day.

It's really not a bad idea having a C6 grab and go and a dob when I want something with more oomph hhhmmm ?

they get you all in the end ;) I'm already eyeing up my next upgrade :D

nice write up. We'll have to try and get out again, after the summer.

3 hours ago, rockystar said:

they get you all in the end ;) I'm already eyeing up my next upgrade :D

nice write up. We'll have to try and get out again, after the summer.

Haha that they do Lee, the only issue for my really is space but I will try and work round that.

We will definitely have to get together I've been pretty unlucky in winter and these past couple of months with work and timing.

Ooohhh so what upgrade are you thinking?

Richard

31 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Very glad you got this one and that it works so well for you. Regardless of whether you ever (feel the need to) move to a 21E it's the best way to enjoy the views in the interim.

:happy11:

I believe it is also I still need a high power EP so watch this space ?

Im really happ with the views though definitely the right choice ?

Richard 

59 minutes ago, rockystar said:

got my eye on a 14" truss dob - but it will have to wait a while, still need another EP first.

Nice that would offer some amazing views ?

I think it will be at least a year or 2 to either upgrade my scope or purchase a second which will take some convincing with the wife haha ? 

My only concern is we're to store whichever scope I would get ?

Richard

Archived