Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Societies and observatories

Swoop1

Do many Astro Societies out there have their own observatories?

I have two societies nearby, one has its own the other doesn't. I joined the one without (easier to get to meetings etc).

I was considering suggesting fund raising to build an observatory as a project for the society. I think it would be a great resource- outreach groups such as Scouts, Guides etc. could come to the observatory, members could make use etc.

Mine (Bristol AS) does have an observatory. We have 18", 12" and 10" scopes, a large dome and run regular open nights for public outreach and also host visits from schools, guide and scout packs etc. Members take their own scopes along to augment the society ones. It's good fun :icon_biggrin:

Our meetings are held in central Bristol though. The observatory is around 8 miles from the city centre in a relatively rural area.

When I am new at some place, I think it's better not to propose too many things (changes), unless you are a fine leader with high power of influence. Building an observatory is expensive, it's a lots of efforts to deploy for the volunteers, money and time.  I would stay out of that path and look inside my own telescope :p (No ambition)

UPDATE:

mV3Oh45.png?1

8 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Do many Astro Societies out there have their own observatories?

I have two societies nearby, one has its own the other doesn't. I joined the one without (easier to get to meetings etc).

I was considering suggesting fund raising to build an observatory as a project for the society. I think it would be a great resource- outreach groups such as Scouts, Guides etc. could come to the observatory, members could make use etc.

"Be the father your ideas deserve." Me

Archived