Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wimvb

NGC 7479 is a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation of Pegasus.

The data for this image is from the 2 m f/10 Liverpool Telescope in La Palma, Canary Islands

20 x 90 seconds RGB (sdss-r, Bessel-V, Bessel-B), total integration time: 30 minutes / channel

Processed in PixInsight.

The data was extremely strong in red, and weak in blue.

I started with integrating all colour information I could find in the archive, but the blue showed some anomalies. I kept only the 90 s data files.

This is basically the full frame from the camera (2000 x 2000 px, 15 micrometer pixelsize).

NGC7479_90s.thumb.jpg.f2f0e88056c7af8df3c38e48a792cad7.jpg

12 hours ago, andyo said:

Certainly not an intrusion I didn't realise these big professional rigs got reflections like this 

3 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice Wim - so great data available at LT - though as you say some channels vary significantly.

Thanks, all.

Even with professional data, there's no free ride. But otoh, where's the fun in just combining channels? In every new image, there should be something new to learn.

5 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Thanks, all.

Even with professional data, there's no free ride. But otoh, where's the fun in just combining channels? In every new image, there should be something new to learn.

That is the challenge - the same does not really exist! We are constantly improvising

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Great result Wim!

Just out of curiosity: did you run any sharpening / deconvolotion on the image or is this the way it came out?

Thanks.

I did use deconvolution on this image. I usually do deconvolution to tighten the stars somewhat. With this data it is also possible to sharpen the galaxy details a bit, and squeeze a little more resolution out of the data. But I try not to overdo it too much.

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Thanks.

I did use deconvolution on this image. I usually do deconvolution to tighten the stars somewhat. With this data it is also possible to sharpen the galaxy details a bit, and squeeze a little more resolution out of the data. But I try not to overdo it too much.

Have a go at sharpen the galaxy a bit just to see how it looks

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Have a go at sharpen the galaxy a bit just to see how it looks

Your wish is my command.

More aggressive deconvolution, a bit beyond what I would normally do. (Or I would have to spend much more time on creating a better star mask.) Slight sharpening of wavelet layers 3 and 4 at the end.

NGC7479_90s_DBE_deconv2.thumb.jpg.88849f07a9b1647d07a2d95440283d48.jpg

I like it Wim!

I would go even a bit  further with some high pass filter and a slight increase in saturation of red/magenta and yellow - but that is me. In any case, playing with curves on your image I noticed that there are more faint stuff in there that you can bring out (longer galaxy arms and numerous small faint fuzzies).

Archived