Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion from New Zealand

Greeting from NZ - widefield image of Orion (upside down)

7942_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Single image, Canon 350EOS. 22mm FL, F 5.6 @ 1600 ISO. 25 secs on a fixed photo tripod. Still waiting for broadband connection at the house we've rented, but more images to follow.

MD

You may have a problem with your image - there are some shiny bits in the sky. Hang on, I've a vague memory of having seen something similar months ago.

Good for you MD, you are missing nothing here.

Mike

Great image MD. Have you got used to the sky going the 'other way' too? I was looking at Vega the other night and thought I would have a look at M13 which is about a third of the way between Vega and Arcturus. I couldn't find it for love nor money until i realised i was looking the wrong side.......

Excellent - seems so weird to see it this way up - but that's the way it is! I have had great trouble convincing people that the Sun appears to move in the opposite direction (i.e right to left rather than left to right - talking about North, East, West and South confuses other people any way for some reason!) when in the southern hemisphere - I think it would blow their minds to show that the constellations are upside down too ...

Thanks for the comments. I'm almost used to the sky going the wrong way - but it's still a wonder.

I'm going to a Star Party only a few miles away next week (if the sky is clear) Might be able to borrow a driven mount so I can get longer subs.

I've just got Broadband connected so I'll be able to be in contact easier.

8)

MD

Excellent - seems so weird to see it this way up - but that's the way it is! I have had great trouble convincing people that the Sun appears to move in the opposite direction (i.e right to left rather than left to right - talking about North, East, West and South confuses other people any way for some reason!) when in the southern hemisphere - I think it would blow their minds to show that the constellations are upside down too ...

hold on that can't be right, it'l only come from right if you're lookn north. same herre to.

if you look south in oz it'll stil come from left surely.

hold on that can't be right, it'l only come from right if you're lookn north. same herre to.

It's the angle of the sun that causes the apparent change. It's angled to the North and not the South, but it still moves from East to West.

MD

MD

If my memory is correct, have you moved there now?

If so, can I just say - you lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky git!!!!! :):(:clouds1:

'Fraid not - still waiting to sell my house so out here for only 7 months.

MD

Yes but if you looked North in the Northern Hemisphere it would come from the right..........we're used to seeing the sun rise in the East and move round to the South...........then round to the West. It's the other way around obviously in Oz. The sky does appear to move 'backwards' against all your previous sensory knowledge. Of course it isn't really going backwards, it just appears to. Constellations are upside down too........again they aren't upside down to an Oz observer, but they are to us. It does take some getting used to.

I suppose most people here know how M42 moves in the winter months, we are so used to seeing it go from left to right between say 'the garage roof and eventually disappearing behind the neighbours roof on the right.' It would move from right to left in Oz. Which might not seem like a problem, but it's very odd to take in. You can't find anything for a start because nothing is where it should be ..........it is where it should be but it isn't where you think it should be............

Thanks for the Orion pic MD. It is odd to see it from a southern sky aspect.

What about Jupiter. How does that sit in your sky down there?

And I,m with Daz. You lucky======== Lucky fellow. I hope you soon get the permanent move you long for mate.

Ron. :)

Ron & Algol

I've never seen Jupiter as high in the sky - it looks to be virtually overhead.

I can get an excellent view of Jupiter & moons from the front lawn. Just waiting to see if I can get a motorised mount so I can have a go at imaging the striped one with the ZS66 and the re-chipped Toucam.

Since there is no one at the local AS who's done any imaging I've been asked to give an introductory talk on the subject soon. I'll have to research what's available to Kiwis in terms of CCD's, hardware and software etc. It's no good saying the Atik, QHY or whatever cameras are good value if they can't get hold of them!

8)

MD

Archived