NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter last night...

chiltonstar

Despite the haze, Moon and the odd gnat, the seeing last night for Jupiter was really superb here (Oxfordshire). I had 30 minutes or so before J moved over a neighbour's house and the heat shimmers started, with the GRS very visible, with structure and huge amounts of band detail. Callisto was cruising past, and at least three of the moons has visible diameter, and Ganymede obviously coloured.

Interesting how much more intensely coloured the structure on Jupiter was with the better seeing - roll on the hazy evenings of early Summer for truly excellent seeing! My aide memoire (am I still allowed to say that?) shot of the evening, Jupiter with Callisto, 180 Mak Pro, ASI224 camera, 2000/3000 frames stacked and processed in AS and PS. Visible observations at x190, x225 and x270.23_40_55_g460417a.jpg.29f9f5f4afb9fed32ffc8f79298eeafe.jpg

Chris

Great shot Chris !

I observed Jupiter at around the time that the image was taken but it was still in the central heating plume of my neigbours house so my seeing was not so good. I'm looking forward to the big planet rising earlier and being a wee bit higher and further west at a more civilised time  :icon_biggrin:

(and people having their central heating switched off too :rolleyes2:)

Nice shot. I just missed the GRS as it was slipping off the face of Jupiter when I looked at about midnight. Seeing wasn't quite as good as you, but some nice colours were seen in the bands. Pity I'd just missed the big red spot! ;) 

On 07/04/2017 at 09:51, chiltonstar said:

Despite the haze, Moon and the odd gnat, the seeing last night for Jupiter was really superb here (Oxfordshire). I had 30 minutes or so before J moved over a neighbour's house and the heat shimmers started, with the GRS very visible, with structure and huge amounts of band detail. Callisto was cruising past, and at least three of the moons has visible diameter, and Ganymede obviously coloured.

Interesting how much more intensely coloured the structure on Jupiter was with the better seeing - roll on the hazy evenings of early Summer for truly excellent seeing! My aide memoire (am I still allowed to say that?) shot of the evening, Jupiter with Callisto, 180 Mak Pro, ASI224 camera, 2000/3000 frames stacked and processed in AS and PS. Visible observations at x190, x225 and x270.23_40_55_g460417a.jpg.29f9f5f4afb9fed32ffc8f79298eeafe.jpg

Chris

Very similar to the views in our 20" Dob and 16" SCT last night, best seeing for some time.   :icon_biggrin:

Archived