NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with Three Moons

A brief clear patch of sky on March 14th allowed me to be able to capture a few shots of Jupiter with three of its four Galilean Moons; Io, Ganymede, and Europa. After taking this the cloud rolled in again of course, but this was the first astro picture I've been able to take since late January.

Made from 1,000 frame video captured with FireCapture and processed in PIPP, Registax, and Photoshop. 

Equipment:
Celestron NexStar 127 SLT
Alt-Az Mount
ZWO ASI120 MC imaging camera
x2 Barlow lens

Jupiter 01_anotated.jpg

That's a great image, Davide. The weather has not been kind to us this Spring.

I attach one with  a somewhat wider field, to get a  fourth and fifth moon in. (Just stepped back a couple of feet to get perspective on things.) Also, (alas!) no telescope.

300mm f/4 lens on an Olympus EM1. Hand held, f/11 at 1/250th (But I was leaning on a wall).

Tuesday  14th March, 22:44.

Five moons.jpg

On 16/03/2017 at 15:38, Tommohawk said:

Thats remarkably good! Good detail especially given the wider view. TBH I didnt think the ASI120 would fit that all on! 

That thanks for the nice comment. The last few Jupiter shots I took prior to this one were done using an x3 Barlow because I wanted to capture the planet as big as possible but the x3 (mine anyway) just doesn't bring out much detail so I've gone back to using the x2 which provides a nice wide field as well as capturing a surprising amount of detail ?

On 16/03/2017 at 11:29, bunnygod1 said:

Very nicely done,  love the wider field view. 

Cheers...I prefer the wider field too. The x3 Barlow I used on previous shots just doesn't provide enough detail and obviously not much moon action, so I'm happy to return to my trusty x2 which does a much nicer job ?

On 16/03/2017 at 19:52, 4th said:

That's a great image, Davide. The weather has not been kind to us this Spring.

I attach one with  a somewhat wider field, to get a  fourth and fifth moon in. (Just stepped back a couple of feet to get perspective on things.) Also, (alas!) no telescope.

300mm f/4 lens on an Olympus EM1. Hand held, f/11 at 1/250th (But I was leaning on a wall).

Tuesday  14th March, 22:44.

Five moons.jpg

Nice shot!

Archived