NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new Orthoscopic planatery EP?

N3ptune

Hello! am thinking about a new acquisition to cover my planetary observation. an Orthoscopic EP.  It will be used with my 1000mm x 203mm F5 reflector and these are my current magnifications right now for planets: 80x, 111x, 212x, 425x.  With great results most of the time at 111x but less often at 212x that's way I am looking for something in the middle.

A 6 mm would give: 167x /barlow 2x 334x (56x more then 111x - 45x less then 212x)

A 7mm would give: 143x / Barlow 2x 286x (32x more then 111x - 69x less then 212x)

I don't know which brand I should look at (With possibility to order in Canada) or maybe a good quality Plossl could do a fine job?

--> The price should be around  +- 100CAD (61 GBP)

--> The purpose is for planetary observation mainly (and secondly double stars, carbon stars, planetary nebulae) the quality of the view and details has priority over the AFOV of course.

--> Eye relief has to be the best has possible for these kind of EPs. I know they are short, the goal is to pick one with a better eye relief. (Even if I don't wear glasses)

--> I have to be able to screw my neodymium filter on it 1 1/4"

--> I am not sure which one would be the very best pick between 6mm and 7mm. The 7 is appealing to be used more often maybe with or without the Barlow.  But which one would you pick?

--> Orthoscopic or Plossl ?

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

2017-04-09 Update.

The winner is the Fujiyama HD-OR 7mm (And it's 5 stars out of 5 so far)

UOyougA.png

A review will follow there:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/290821-my-new-fujiyama-hd-or-7mm-eyepiece/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello 

Magnification that you will use will depend on the atmosphere conditions of your particular location ,to how high you can push it. I have Orthos in the 6mm and 7mm

The best ones that I can recommend around your budget are the Fujiyama Orthos, which are similar in style to the great BGO. And there is also the Baader Classic Ortho, which were the replacement for the BGO. Maybe get a 7mm first and see if you think that will be your maximum for your location, and then go for the 6mm if you think you can push the magnification more 

I hope the above helps☺

@nightfisher Antares, should I look for used eyepiece? Anyone know a place where they sell and ship to Canada?

@Timebandit I see they have the Fujiyama brand at University Optics, in my price range.  I don't know about the Baader Ortho, people seems to say the previous revision was better then the actual one.

http://www.universityoptics.com/125inch.html#HD

Stu you suggest the 6 ok, it should be good I agree.

I've tested and owned quite a lot of orthoscopic eyepieces. If I was looking for one now I'd either go for a Fujiyama, a used Baader Genuine Orthscopic or a University Optics HD. The Baader Classic Orthscopics are very good as well but in the 6mm focal length I think the others I have mentioned are just a little better.

Ok, my choice it leaning towards a Fujiyama Orthoscopic has found on University Optics website.

NOTE

On Antares website they don't seem to produce eyepieces, maybe that the wrong website:

http://www.antaresoptics.com/Products.html

But elsewhere like the store bellow they sell Antares eyepieces (but not the orthos), so they must come from somewhere.

https://www.lirelanature.com/en/categorie-produit/opticaleyepieces?filter_fournisseur=5825

8 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Antares markets Chinese made eyepieces under their brand.  The lone exception is their SWA line which are also called the Speers-Waler line.  They were designed by Greg Speers and assembled in Canada.  I have the discontinued 5-8mm zoom.  There was a thread some years back on them.

Their flat top abbe orthos were Japanese made. I've owned the orange etched ones and the screen printed ones that look virtually identical to the University Optics HD orthos. Both very nice examples of the abbe ortho design. Perhaps slightly better coatings on the screen printed ones.

2 hours ago, John said:

Their flat top abbe orthos were Japanese made. I've owned the orange etched ones and the screen printed ones that look virtually identical to the University Optics HD orthos. Both very nice examples of the abbe ortho design. Perhaps slightly better coatings on the screen printed ones.

Alright, I should have said they market eyepieces made in the western Pacific rim.  My point is that other than the SW line, they don't design and assemble eyepieces in Canada.  It's never been clear where they got the lenses from for the SW line.  They were always clear about them being assembled in Canada.

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Alright, I should have said they market eyepieces made in the western Pacific rim.  My point is that other than the SW line, they don't design and assemble eyepieces in Canada.  It's never been clear where they got the lenses from for the SW line.  They were always clear about them being assembled in Canada.

If i can remember correctly, the Speers UWA lenses came from Japan, as with quite a lot of the very old Antares optical stuff, back in the day.

1 hour ago, AndyH said:

If i can remember correctly, the Speers UWA lenses came from Japan, as with quite a lot of the very old Antares optical stuff, back in the day.

That's what I've always assumed based on the late 90s/early 00s quality of the polish and coatings on the SW line.  Today, I'm sure China and Taiwan can also deliver such levels of lens quality.  Maybe not quite Zeiss levels yet, though.

Which eyepiece is the obvious better deal in reality?

--> The Baader Classic Ortho or the Fujiyama HD ortho?

Fujiyama and or University Optics

EHqWwCf.png

http://agenaastro.com/kokusai-kohki-fujiyama-hd-orthoscopic-eyepiece-7mm.html

--> 6.1mm eye relief

--> 42d AFOV,

--> Price: around 170CAD with shipping I would say.

Baader Classic Ortho:

TX2KGMx.jpg?1

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/eyepieces/q-turret-classic-ortho-plossl/classic-ortho-6mm-1¼"-okular-(ht-mc).html

http://maisonastronomie.ca/en/product/e-6mm-classic-ortho/

Eye relief: Unknown

AFOV: ? maybe 52d

--> Price: around 145CAD with car trip included.

============================

What would be the best quality price pick ? Should I pay the extra money to get the fujiyama?

I've compared these.

The AFoV of the Baader Classic Ortho is 50 degrees. It's eye relief is around 5mm.

They are both very good eyepieces. I would say that the Fujiyama is just a touch sharper and has slightly less light scatter around bright objects.

The Baader Classic 6mm is a little easier to use ergonomically because it's eye lens is larger and is easier to find in the darkness.

I could live with either but would probably choose the Fujiyama if I had to pick just one.

Why are you comparing a 6mm with a 7mm by the way ? - Fujiyama do a 6mm in that series which is just as good as the 7mm.

Yeah I am still divided over the 6mm and 7mm.. here is what I think:

I already have a strong 212x eyepiece which I think is more then fine, the ES 4.7mm. But to get 111x I have to use the 18mm Xcel LX with the Xcel LX 2x barlow, it's less interesting, but the power 111x is useful.  I somewhat have a wish to replace/enhance that previous combo with something else, that's why I have the eye on the 7mm to get 143x, it's closer to 111x (replace) then 212x and it's a bit more then 111x (enhance).

(This reflection is new from today)

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

@John Would be nice to find a good Antares HD or a Fujiyama HD Ortho even Use, These must be a keeper when you own one...

I am re organizing my eyepieces and have a 7mm KK and 5mm KK that I may sell Neptune. I barlowed the 5mm 2x the other night trying to break the image down on the moon with the 200 f3.8... even at 2.2 mm fl barlowed I couldn't do it...

I'm either going Tak or better on the orthos coming up.

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

I am re organizing my eyepieces and have a 7mm KK and 5mm KK that I may sell Neptune. I barlowed the 5mm 2x the other night trying to break the image down on the moon with the 200 f3.8... even at 2.2 mm fl barlowed I couldn't do it...

I had the opportunity to buy a couple of used  Tak's a while back. But from what I have read these eyepieces do not seem to deliver the views from what people expect with something like the Tak name attached to it. So IMO for the price point that was being asked ,also I did not think there would be that much improvement (if any at all) over my existing Fujiyama/BGO Orthos. Therefore the Tak's where given a miss.

The only way IMO you are going to get a better Ortho than the likes of BGO/Fujiyama is to dip a toe into the world of the super Ortho. The likes of the Pentax smc, TMb super mono and the ZAO. Obviously these are the cream of the crop , but unfortunately the prices requested are also top draw.  

1 minute ago, Timebandit said:

I had the opportunity to buy a couple of used  Tak's a while back. But from what I have read these eyepieces do not seem to deliver the views from what people expect with something like the Tak name attached to it. So IMO for the price point that was being asked ,also I did not think there would be that much improvement (if any at all) over my existing Fujiyama/BGO Orthos. Therefore the Tak's where given a miss.

The only way IMO you are going to get a better Ortho than the likes of BGO/Fujiyama is to dip a toe into the world of the super Ortho. The likes of the Pentax smc, TMb super mono and the ZAO. Obviously these are the cream of the crop , but unfortunately the prices requested are also top draw.  

I agree with this, having read similar feedback (or lack of it to some extent) on the Tak Abbe Orthos. If I had your skies Gerry I'd find a set of ZAO's and be done with wondering "what if ?"

4 hours ago, John said:

I agree with this, having read similar feedback (or lack of it to some extent) on the Tak Abbe Orthos. If I had your skies Gerry I'd find a set of ZAO's and be done with wondering "what if ?"

I agree about the Taks, I find the eye cup an asset though.

Yes, I also agree about the ZAOII's- Question John, how many eyepieces came as a set? were there different sets?

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

I wonder how the short focal length Vixens would go in your f3.8 scope Gerry? Not heard much about them but could be worth looking into for high power work.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-hr-planetary-eyepieces.html

I bought my Orthoscopics from UO. They are excellent. UO goes into a detailed briefing on who makes these, and this should give you the background to know what you're doing.

As UO ships from Ann Arbor, Michigan - they'd be a good bunch for you to work with.

Be aware of the ER (Eye-Relief),

Dave

Archived