Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thoughts on Antares Speers Waler EP's ?

I'm looking to invest in EP's and on my list are the Antares Speers Walers (bnkers name or what)

Anyhow, some people call them the Termi-nagler and others sell them for £55 so somwhere in between lies the truth.

So...who's got some advice ?

How well do they fare with 4.5 F ratio ?

Why not more popular ?

Anybody with one planning to go to SGL5 and if so, can I spend some time observing to get an idea ?

James / Steve - FLO - any opinions (such that you are able to offer..)

Many thanks. Appreciate all / any views whatsoever.

S

Just my luck, admin delete the thread i responded too. ;)

I am very very fond of the Speers. It rates as one of my all time favourite eyepieces. Who sells them for £55??????

I've had the 7mm, 10mm and Zoom. All were top notch. Focus travel maybe an issue but my 200P and 12.5 f4.5 dob had no probs. As usual, personal finance issues forced their sale....i was devasted as they almost never come up secondhand. I knew my chances of replacing them was zip. And the only dealer i know off (RVO) wants a £149 a piece for these. So £55 sounds truly amazing. I would love one of the Series 2 models.

All the reviews i've read have put the Speers behind the Nagler but that's no surprise as there's no such thing as a free lunch. I think the Nagler has an edge optically, it's tighter to the edge. But the Speers is just a nicer eyepiece to use compared to the Nagler. And i always go for nicer to use over ultimate optical quality.

Russ

Can't answer for such a fast scope, BUT.......

I've had the 7.5, 10, 18 and now have the Mk1 5-8mm zoom.

The only downsides to them are

1/the sheer size/length.

2/infocus needed for some of em.

Optically superb. My fav was the 10mm. Stupendously awesome. No kidney beaning. Decent eyerelief. lovely crisp views to the edge.

Have lusted after the 5-8mm zoom for years and recently had to raid the astro emergency jar to get it. Not dissapointed. Quite superb. Freakin huge. Looks hysterical on a 66mm apo!!

As with Russ, the others were let go because I needed the funds some time back.

If you see one 2nd hand(I think an 18mm went on fleabay recently), grab it. You will not be dissapointed.

Andy.

The shorter focal lengths (10mm and less) plus the zoom's are reputed to be the best. I had the 24mm which has the same name but is a different design and more of a budget superwide in terms of performance. I'd certainly check out that your scope has the required "in focus" as they do need it.

The name: (Greg) Speers W(ide) A(ngle) L(ong) E(ye) R(elief)

That isn't my old 5-8mm zoom is it Andy? I can't remember who i sold it too now.

I agree, the 10mm is an absolute gem and can stand tall against anything from the green camp. A killer eyepiece.

As Andy said, if you see one secondhand, grab it. Be quick though, because if i see it, I won't hang around. ;)

Russ

John, funnily enough i was reading about the W70's today. The original 25mm W70 was originally labelled up as a 24mm Speers-Waler even though it wasn't really a Speers. Because the optical quality wasn't up to the rest of the range it was hastily renamed W70. Even as part of the W70 range it is still the runt of the litter.

Wow - just bid (and won) a Gen II on o-bey for <£75 so I'm feeling all pleased with myself. All this advice makes me wonder why there are not stocked more / more popular - deffo "left field" EP methinks

Cheers all - any more opinions really welcome

Like many 'different' eyepieces and stuff over the years, they were difficult to get over here. I got all mine, bar the zoom and 18mm from the states when the $/£ was good. Keep an eye on 'Island Eyepiece and telescopes Ltd' in Vancouver or 'Agena Astro'. They sometimes do special deals on them(Agena have the series 1.5 10mm for $105).

Cheers,

Andy.

John, funnily enough i was reading about the W70's today. The original 25mm W70 was originally labelled up as a 24mm Speers-Waler even though it wasn't really a Speers. Because the optical quality wasn't up to the rest of the range it was hastily renamed W70. Even as part of the W70 range it is still the runt of the litter.

Someone on "Cloudynights" took a 19mm W70 apart - and found a Skywatcher UWA 20mm clone inside complete with logos and the little gold coloured band !. Put me off the W70's a bit, that did ;)

Yes, i remember seeing that John. I have a soft spot for the SW 66's, so the W70 is fine providing i pay very little for it. I wouldn't pay the £59 new price, not when the 66 range is £24 new.

I have an 8.5-12mm ASW zoom and really love it. It has a constant 82° FOV and works very well in my f/4.5 dob. Yes, really!

As has been said, negatives include size and infocus, but optically brilliant.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been looking at these at Rother Valley Optics and wondering if they were good...

It sounds like it makes more financial sense to get a zoom rather than just individuals but are the zooms (im assuming they are harder to manufacture and have more parts etc) inferior to individuals?

Hi Bryndalf

Have a read of this

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/100736-zoom-eyepieces-whats-your-take-3.html

Also have a read of this thread - On this I've posted links of reviews.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-planetary/105725-what-your-favourite-high-power-eyepice-2.html

The zooms are in no way inferior. They are infact the pinnacle of the range. Get one, you won't be dissapointed.

I get the impression they are more like a variable barlow-ed e.p. than yer typical zoom. So maybe that's why they don't suffer from field variability and other pathologies. :D

Only doubts I had re. a Mk.I 10mm fixed Speers Waler was that it never quite delivered the expected TFoV. Stragely, the AFoV looked about right! I believe though they "redefined" some of the focal lengths in the new versions? I still use my old W70s too, though they have more market competition of (similar ilk) now. :p

• 2 months later...

Archived