Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A new Orthoscopic planatery EP?

N3ptune

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Stu said:

I wonder how the short focal length Vixens would go in your f3.8 scope Gerry? Not heard much about them but could be worth looking into for high power work.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-hr-planetary-eyepieces.html

These are high on my list Stu, I almost wonder if Vixen got hold of a few very high quality lenses to work with to make these...? The 200mm f3.8 must have a great figure and offers great lunar views- incredible- its propensity for scatter on bright stars is puzzling given its performance here, mirror smoothness possibly. Or maybe I'm just a fussy observer with reasonable eyes.

I think the Vixen HR's, while very limited as far as scope choice is concerned,might offer the best views possible for this little newt.

Great heads up on this Stu, thanks!

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

its propensity for scatter on bright stars is puzzling given its performance here

Based on Bill Paolini's review of dielectric vs silver vs prism star diagonals, dielectric coatings introduce more scatter than silver coatings which themselves introduce more scatter than prisms.  The Hilux coatings on the scope's mirrors might be causing excessive scatter.  I've heard that enhanced aluminum coatings and in particular dielectric coatings on Newtonian mirrors reflect more light but introduce more scatter as a downside.  What's good for photography might not be best for high power planetary viewing.

4 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Based on Bill Paolini's review of dielectric vs silver vs prism star diagonals, dielectric coatings introduce more scatter than silver coatings which themselves introduce more scatter than prisms.  The Hilux coatings on the scope's mirrors might be causing excessive scatter.  I've heard that enhanced aluminum coatings and in particular dielectric coatings on Newtonian mirrors reflect more light but introduce more scatter as a downside.  What's good for photography might not be best for high power planetary viewing.

I think you could be right Louis. The Hi Lux process is a very good one and one in itself that doesn't produce scatter, however, the application of the coatings, regardless of type is crucial for some aspects of mirror performance, with some types being more sensitive to apply than others possibly.

I believe every high spec mirror should be tested after coating as the final seal of approval.

Sorry to the OP for veering off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to announce, I am now the proud owner of a brand sparking new Japanese Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama HD-OR 7mm! to use with my reflector and for planetary works (and many other things also.)

What a great day (:

UOyougA.png

It's 42d AFOV, 6.1mm Eye relief, it's going to provide me with a great 143x / 286x, the price was around 145CAD Paypal. I ordered directly from Kokusai Kohki, the customer service was great and fast, with a pleasant touch of joy also! Am going to receive the eyepiece in about a week.

http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html

I told Barry Gooley the suggestion to get one of their high end eyepiece came from the people here, of course. He sends his regards to SGL!

This is how nicely it will fit and complete my actual collection. (((:

- 32mm 2" Orion Q70:  31x

-25mm Xcel-LX:            40x     

-18mm Xcel-LX:            55x

-25mm Xcel-LX+2X      80x

-18mm Xcel-LX+2x      111x

-7mm KK HD-OR            143x

-4.7mm ES                      212x

-7mm KK HD-OR+2x     286x

-4.7mm ES+2x               424x

Archived