Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can of worms - Fracs and Dobs

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Anyway Gerry, wasn't it only a few weeks ago that you were considering a 100mm Takahashi for yourself, or did I imagine it?  :evil4:

Mike

Yes I'm looking at Tak refractors, but I don't think a 100mm Tak will out do my reasonably (very reasonably) good SW120ED... So...I'm looking at the 120mm Tak :shocked: My 120ED goes 300x sharp for lunar Mike but when the 15" is out and at 300x there is an obvious (huge) difference, at least to my eyes.

A good thing coming out of this recent discussion is the effect of seeing, whether from internal and local (ground, rooftops) thermals or the sky conditions itself and how big a role it plays in the ability to see things well.

ps  I just want a Tak so the Tak members will talk to me :grin:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Years ago George Alcock was ridiculed for his Jupiter observations using a 4" refractor,

Some of us didnt ridicule him, some of us could not aspire to a 4" refractor on our pocket money, nevertheless we hung on his every word to catch a view, through our humble ex-navy stores or whatever scope, of his latest comet or nova find ! (many of which were gone before many heard of them being as how there was no 'tinternet ! can you believe it !)  Some of us, even when we obtained gainful employment, could still not afford etc&etc and I was lucky to get a good well paid job with ----- , it still cost me two months net wages to buy the mirror set for a home brew Newt.

Which is a long winded way of saying that today's amateur has a very good chance of being able to afford BOTH a big Newt and a good 'frac and decide for themselves, and dont have to accept the pronouncments of the high&mighty.

13 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Yes I'm looking at Tak refractors, but I don't think a 100mm Tak will out do my reasonably (very reasonably) good SW120ED... So...I'm looking at the 120mm Tak :shocked: My 120ED goes 300x sharp for lunar Mike but when the 15" is out and at 300x there is an obvious (huge) difference, at least to my eyes.

A good thing coming out of this recent discussion is the effect of seeing, whether from internal and local (ground, rooftops) thermals or the sky conditions itself and how big a role it plays in the ability to see things well.

ps  I just want a Tak so the Tak members will talk to me :grin:

I'll talk to you Gerry, even if you don't get a Tak! :icon_biggrin:

I love the 120ED's and used one for six years while between Taks. They are truly great scopes!

I've also used the Tak TSA 120 on several occasions. You'll love it!

Mike

I suppose one thing Newts cant do is low magnification (sub X10) but the sky these days is not the inky black of my youth where a large exit pupil on a 70 mm spotting scope didn't seem to cause a problem.

Alan

12 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Just had a gander at that Peach guys images. :eek: 

If SCT are not capable of producing good planetary images he aint listening very hard. They look passable to me :D:D 

Steve, should we get into the effects of central obstruction?:grin: You are right Steve,

there is a reason that serious lunar/planetary imagers use SCT's- look at Astroavani, Kokathaman, Peach etc. These guys put out some seriously good images.

4 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Steve, should we get into the effects of central obstruction?:grin: You are right Steve,

there is a reason that serious lunar/planetary imagers use SCT's- look at Astroavani, Kokathaman, Peach etc. These guys put out some seriously good images.

Odd one this, few planetary observers would choose a SCT over the finest 6" APO refractor yet some of the best planetary images have been produced by SCT's. Where are the comparative refractor planetary images?  :icon_biggrin:  

5 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

have been produced by SCT's. Where are the comparative refractor planetary images?  :icon_biggrin:  

Well I have some views, but I cannnot say now that names have been mentioned else it might be thought I was crit.ing them :(

Archived