Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can of worms - Fracs and Dobs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JOC said:

OK, so that makes sense, so then why do frac users deploy those long thin telescopes when they could be using a Dob with a huge mirror and lots of possibility to resolve detail.  Where does the Frac design score over the Dob. design? (Or does that open too many can's of worms?)

IMHO, at the end of the day it is not "where does the Frac design score over the Dob", or where does the Dob score over the Frac. The two optical instruments function to gather photons from distant stellar objects and bring them to focus. Two different designs with the same purpose. There are devotees of both designs and it then becomes a question of horses for courses. The amateur who wants to observe just some of the many variable subjects in our night sky, will choose the instrument governed by resolution and clarity for his or hers chosen subject.

For example, the light gathering power of the large mirrors, that can scoop up those fainter photons, will be the scope of choice for the dedicated DSO observing amateur. On the other hand, the smaller Fracs, triplet or otherwise, including the smaller Newtonians, having a reduced objective size / weight, much the choice of our imaging and observing community. Have the ability to provide excellent resolution and clarity, but can also be installed on an  EQ driven mount :)

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

There is another benefit with an aperture mask on a dob and that is the change of F ratio can make eyepieces perform better especially the cheaper ones.

Alan

So is it worth me experimenting with the aperture mask?  What will I notice?  Until tonight I didn't even realise what it was.  I just assumed it was a dust cover with a perplexing hole in it.  

Just now, JOC said:

So is it worth me experimenting with the aperture mask?  What will I notice.  Until tonight I didn't even realise what it was.  I just assumed it was a dust cover with a perplexing hole in it.  

Its worth experimenting and costs nothing, the moon is a good target to try.

Alan

Dobs are beautiful. And I am sure one would show me many more fuzzy smudges. But I would have to cool it. And collimate it. And live in it.

:happy11:

I am happy for those who can cope and are rewarded. Really, you are the real deal. The hard core. I am not worthy.

But me and Callahan, we have to know our limitations. So a smallish frac it is. But mostly binoculars to peek through the clouds. And take on holiday. Everywhere. Anytime.

Carry on.

:rolleyes2:

7 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Dobs are beautiful. And I am sure one would show me many more fuzzy smudges. But I would have to cool it. And collimate it. And live in it.

I am happy for those who can cope and are rewarded. Really, you are the real deal. The hard core. I am not worthy.

But me and Callahan, we have to know our limitations. So a smallish frac it is. But mostly binoculars to peek through the clouds. And take on holiday. Everywhere. Anytime.

Carry on.

:rolleyes2:

.........and store household waste in it.

Doug.

1 minute ago, SilverAstro said:

:laughing4:  :happy6:  :happy6: 

Ohhh ! can they do that ? I thort 'twas only FLO's Zarkhov Gun that could do it.

Indeed. I should have written "between the clouds". Glad someone is paying attention. Good man, I owe you a dram.

5 minutes ago, estwing said:

nope...same brightness...bigger image scale.

It's a complicated matter, I believe.  For a larger aperture and the same focal ratio, you get the same exit pupil at higher magnification.  That means the same surface brightness at higher mag.  Surface brightness is brightness per unit area, so a more magnified image will have a greater integrated or overall brightness.  

Doug.

Archived