Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sometimes, only binoculars will do!

RobertI

Having survived the ravages of hurricane Doris yesterday, we were treated to a power cut at 8pm. I saw that the sky was clear, so with only the prospect of a cold dinner ahead, I decided to have a quick observe. It was still to windy for a scope so took out the 10x50 bins. Heading out out to a nearby field I was totally amazed at the transparency and, unexpectedly, good seeing; hardly a twinkle to be seen. The sky was black and the pinpoint star colours really stood out. Spent fifteen minutes scanning the heavens before my hands got too cold. Stand out moments included:

• Milky way in Perseus, Cassiopeia and Auriga - bins can really provide a true 'space walk' experience
  • M35, M26, M7 and M38 - really pretty against the dense star background
  • Sigma Persei - shone out like a red beacon, not the reddest star out there but all its neighbours are blue so seems to make it stand out.
  • Melotte 111 (Coma Star Cluster) - visible as very large and faint cluster in Coma Berenices, about the size of the Hyades but fainter. Filled the FOV. It stood out because it is in an area devoid of many stars. I'm really surprised it has no 'common name' or a higher profile.
  • M81, M51 and a number of other faint fuzzies which usually a challenge on less transparent nights.

The downside was that the excellent conditions showed up the deficiencies of my bins - it would have been great for un-distorted views to the edge of the FOV. Shame that I had a great session, then came back craving better equipment! :help2: 

Nice report. We have lots of power cuts but they almost never coincide with clear skies...

What you say about Melotte 111 chimes exactly with my experience under the super-dark skies of Utah last year, where it was really prominent (and almost overhead if I remember correctly). Surely the 'ancients' must have had some name/role for it? 

The other Melotte that always looks great in bins is no. 20 in Perseus -- such a large number of bright stars. I often come across it after following my habitual path from Cassiopeia to the double cluster, and continuing onwards.

Martin

@Martin Meredith  I didnt realise the Perseus group had the designation Melotte 20, in fact according to SkySafari, Sigma Persei red star that i picked out is part of that group. Thanks for pointing out.

Thanks @Stu sadly the following night was overcast :( 

@PeterW the bins are Bausch & Lomb Legacy 10x50, they are same as the Bushnell Legacy 10x50, as Bushnell took over Bausch & Lomb optical division. From what I have read they are considered good mid range binoculars and the views are very bright and crisp. The main issues are going out of focus towards the edge of the FOV, getting both eyepieces in focus at the same time and also the objectives are slightly stopped down, which is not uncommon I believe even on good bins, but still....! The focus problem is due to the bridge design I think. I have been looking at the Pentax SP 10x50 bins which seem to eradicate most of these problems (still some distortion at edge of view but not so bad) but never sure how much better they would be until trying. The Pentax have a FOV of only 5 degrees compared to 6.5 of the B&L. I guess @FLO would allow a return if they were a disapppointment.

I went looking for wide angle (nagler like) bins and finally found some recently, 7x35. Nice unconstrained view and sharp across pretty much most of the field of view, easy to hold, easy to navigate about the place. Bit "small" I know, but you can step up to bigger kit for a closer look, just need to take them to darker skies for more impact.

peterW

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired some 7x35s which have a wide 10 degree FOV and scanned the starfields in the constellation Cepheus. Mu Cephei, the Garnet Star shone out from the background like a glowing ember and made a good contrast with neighbouring Nu. The one thing I miss though is seeing more stars...so I may buy some 7x50s ?.

• 1 month later...

Archived