Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar V as well !

and I got the Lunar V as well !

If you think it is a bit pixely, you are right and I apologise ! :) it is an 10year-old early 'superZoom' 18x on an 8Mp 1/2.5" chip at 500mm tele35equiv. (83mm actual) 1/80sec f/4.2 ISO 100 , on a tripod.  I am quite surprised at what it has got though !

400X&V.jpg

now I wonder what that crater with the two mountains is > >

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, triton1 said:

Nice one you can see them really clearly not sure which crater you mean though.

Thanks,

yes sorry I was a bit unclear ( I was in a rush cos I had just seen that the clouds had parted again ! )

The top right in the X insert was the one I meant, red arrow pic below, I have trouble with moon atlases, they never seem to show the craters with the same shadows as I see !!

May be Albateginus ?

400X&V2.jpg

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very nicely done! Quite clear in those pics.

Yes, looks like Albetegnius

Thanks ! So it looks like what I thought was a second mountain is probably part of the wall of Klein.

That is a nice map representation you have there, is it a phone app thingie or a PC ?

edit :  and I have Halley as well, that is a nice one :)

5 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Thanks ! So it looks like what I thought was a second mountain is probably part of the wall of Klein.

That is a nice map representation you have there, is it a phone app thingie or a PC ?

edit :  and I have Halley as well, that is a nice one :)

The images are from an iphone app called Moon phase photo maps, I find it very handy. It's not free, but none of the best apps are.

IMG_9217.PNG

31 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

Nice find f. thanks, brill :) 

was just about to edit my previous to say something like $2.99 isnt free but wont break the bank - shame about no iPhone LOL!

Very interesting site, Derek also had a lucky break in the clouds and caught the X last night  as well, I wonder if he lurks amongst us in this parish.

13 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Nice job! I may have a gotten a tiny bit more illumination from my longitude, but your picture clearly shows the X and the V. I took my pic around 9 p.m. EST.

Thanks, Yes that 'tiny' bit of illumination  caused me much puzzlement ! until I realised that you were a bit  the other side :)  far west of me ! Great that you got it as well, now I am wondering if this happens every (monthly?) lunation/insolation  or does it depend on libration or other secondary orbital allignments, must be the latter else it would have been spotted earlier in antiquity ?? (by Patrick et al )

11 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

interesting, the feature was, as you see, only just becoming illuminated at my 'local' civil time (GMT/UT) of about 8:30 pm

That is interesting.  From what I've researched, the features are not always easily visible, depending upon your location, because of the variation in how sunlight is reflected off the moon to different parts of the Earth. Here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.eyesonthesky.com/Moon/LunarX.aspx

21 minutes ago, orion25 said:

not always easily visible, depending upon your location, because of the variation in how sunlight is reflected off the moon to different parts of the Earth. Here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.eyesonthesky.com/Moon/LunarX.aspx

Thanks, yes it would seem so,  @johnfosterukhttps://stargazerslounge.com/topic/286758-the-moon-03-02-17/ ) is just a few miles SW of me and missed the X  (prob because of  being an earlier bird ! ? )

35 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Thanks, yes it would seem so,  @johnfosterukhttps://stargazerslounge.com/topic/286758-the-moon-03-02-17/ ) is just a few miles SW of me and missed the X  (prob because of  being an earlier bird ! ? )

Yes, John may have been out too early. From his images ( very nice ones, indeed!) I can see that the terminator had not yet reached the optimal point to see the X. I can see the V, however. There is a definite window there.

On 04/02/2017 at 13:12, furrysocks2 said:

Am I doing something silly / going mad ?--  all his binocular views are flipped vertically ??!!! :(

The ones @Stu posted earlier are OK though ( and Stu isnt holding his iPhone upsidedown cos the letters would be wrong then, :) like they become when I vertically flip one from the derek site !)

10 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Am I doing something silly / going mad ?--  all his binocular views are flipped vertically ??!!! :(

The ones @Stu posted earlier are OK though ( and Stu isnt holding his iPhone upsidedown cos the letters would be wrong then, :) like they become when I vertically flip one from the derek site !)

Being honest, I don't actually know which way round the moon should be... I've been pointing the scope, rotating the camera and watching the screen. I had to google it ;)

The filenames for the "binocular" ones do all have "mirror" in the filename.

https://bobmoler.wordpress.com/tag/telescope-image-orientation/

1 hour ago, furrysocks2 said:

The filenames for the "binocular" ones do all have "mirror" in the filename.

https://bobmoler.wordpress.com/tag/telescope-image-orientation/

Yes, I spotted that as well, so I removed it and tried the modified link - thinking he may just have indexed the wrong folder, but no good, that just gave a horizontal flip image ( I think the same as in his telescope images )

The bobmoler ones (the top two pics) are correct for bino view, are what I am seeing in my camera, binos and in Stu's pics.

So that's OK then ! thort I was going bonkers !! Thanks for checking and the new link.

Archived