Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

September Issue of Sky at Night Magazine

wingman

Just had to check the date to make sure this wasn't a wind up. I have been reading that Septembers S@N mag will feature a 5 page article "Astronomy with the Archers".

I'm lost for words, I know that they sometimes have a page featuring a "celebrity" with an interest in astronomy like Moby, but 5 pages devoted to a radio soap opera? :shock:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheers for that trev, looks ace hopefully it will arrive through door this week.

wonder what the star is that may go nova? the one i was told about was betelgeuse i think or was it rigel? something in orion anyway.

hey and the CD doesn't work on Vista ... smart one!

tum tee tum tee tum tee tum...tum tee tum tee tummmmm tummm... (Archers theme!)

"E're Clarry...is that NGC4565 you're imaging there..."...."No Ed...it's a fleck of cow muck on the TMB objective again.. parrrrse me the lens pen"

Next Month... "How to combat light pollution in Albert Square using narrowband filters", and "The Brookside guide to digging the perfect back garden trench and concrete for your pier...with Beth Jordash"

:hello2::clouds1::lol: :lol: :D :D :) :)

i tried the 3 issues for a quid from march to may, and never looked back since.

also get AN as well every month so i get my double fix.

anyone know if sky and telescope adds anything that these two don't cover? :hello2:

wonder what the star is that may go nova? the one i was told about was betelgeuse i think or was it rigel? something in orion anyway.

Eta Carinae is my bet as most likely.

I also Remember Pete Lawrence mentioned that he may have

had an input with reserchers for that storyline .

Ed

anyone know if sky and telescope adds anything that these two don't cover? :hello2:

I think they are doing a feature this month on "The Cosby Show and its impact on GRB research", and an interview with Britney Spears on "dome construction"

A fleck of cow muck how did that get on the TBM objective you been using the milking shed for an observatory again……..

Talking of "Domes" took the kids to the park last week and was chatting to Jordan and Pete he’s a very nice guy.

hey and the CD doesn't work on Vista ... smart one!

tum tee tum tee tum tee tum...tum tee tum tee tummmmm tummm... (Archers theme!)

"E're Clarry...is that NGC4565 you're imaging there..."...."No Ed...it's a fleck of cow muck on the TMB objective again.. parrrrse me the lens pen"

Next Month... "How to combat light pollution in Albert Square using narrowband filters", and "The Brookside guide to digging the perfect back garden trench and concrete for your pier...with Beth Jordash"

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Just had this from Will Gater hope you enjoy.

Trev.

On September’s cover disc we have a world exclusive video on Sir Patrick Moore’s legendary telescopes.

It was filmed and produced, on location at Patrick's home in Selsey, exclusively by the magazine and includes an interview with Patrick about his telescopes, their observatories and his tips and hints on observing and siting your own observatory.

There are also several interviews with representatives from the Stargazers' Lounge forum and Steve Collingwood of Telescope House, who have spent countless hours restoring and modernising Patrick's telescopes and their observatories.

We have a trailer of the video on our YouTube channel here:

Nice...

Was invited down for that by Steve... had a meeting to go to at work...

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Day after, I told my boss...who replied "you pillock...why didn't you tell me, i would have given you the day off"

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :hello2::clouds1::lol: :lol: :D :D :) :) :):p :p :p

hey ho...c'est la vie

Just had a mail from Will, and can see the confusion..

just to qualify ..."doesn't work on Vista" i was referring to the cover CD type, which only lists 2000/XP (and not "or higher"), it's something my lot get caught out with all the time...

The cover CD does work on Vista...no problems at all

It's Vista that just doesn't work...as a proper O.S

:hello2::clouds1::lol: :lol:

Just had to check the date to make sure this wasn't a wind up. I have been reading that Septembers S@N mag will feature a 5 page article "Astronomy with the Archers".

I'm lost for words, I know that they sometimes have a page featuring a "celebrity" with an interest in astronomy like Moby, but 5 pages devoted to a radio soap opera? :shock:

I've just read the article, its completely pointless IMHO. Theres a map of the Archers village, interviews with people connected with the show who don't have any interest in astronomy.....its just as bad as that 'winter coat group test' they did a while back (and thats saying something!!)

its just as bad as that 'winter coat group test' they did a while back (and thats saying something!!)

Indeed. I looked, I laughed, and then I put the magazine back in the rack and walked away....

Tony..

Well the Archers have a large audience, and an astronomy interest in the "Village" might lead to an upsurge in interest amongst the listeners. Pity the storyline didn't have a direct link to SGL, we could have had an upsurge in membership.

I am not an Archers fan by the way, I've only listened to it once, and only because I was a captive audience. I had to visit a farm in a local village some years ago, to fit a fuel injection pump on a tractor. I was almost dragged into the house, and had to wait until the whole family had listened to an Archers episode.

Ron. :hello2:

Having now read the article in question, it doesn't seem that irrelevant to me. That a broadcasting 'institution' like the Archers with a large listener base has an ongoing story line about astronomy is no bad thing especially as it appears to have been well researched with contributions from Pete Lawrence. Details like inputting the date is bl**dy USA format is a problem many new astronomers will come up against and to have had it accurately reproduced in the show seems pretty relevant.

The inclusion of the 'map of Ambridge' was a bit of a nonsense as the programme is entirely fictional so there is no Ambridge!

Archived