Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

September Issue of Sky at Night Magazine

wingman

Having now read the article in question, it doesn't seem that irrelevant to me. That a broadcasting 'institution' like the Archers with a large listener base has an ongoing story line about astronomy is no bad thing especially as it appears to have been well researched with contributions from Pete Lawrence. Details like inputting the date is bl**dy USA format is a problem many new astronomers will come up against and to have had it accurately reproduced in the show seems pretty relevant.

The inclusion of the 'map of Ambridge' was a bit of a nonsense as the programme is entirely fictional so there is no Ambridge!

4 pages though Steve??? Maybe half or even 1 page but no more, there is surely better/ more useful material to do an article on for us amateur astronomers?

Look at the content of the four pages.....page 1: a picture of a microphone. pages 2 and 3: random picture of Saturn, map of village. page 4: picture of some houses in the village. Amongst this we have interviews with 4 people, 2 of which have no interest in astronomy what so ever.

Much more of that kind of thing and I'll be canceling my subscription. <Rant ends>

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...the Supernova article was a bit 'light'...

Hi Gaz,

It's very important for me as a writer to get the right mix subjects, that you (the reader) want to read, in the feature. Would you mind emailing me the sort of things you'd like to have seen covered in the article please? I always welcome any form of feedback; after all it's you who decide whether to read what I write. :clouds1:

You can reach me on my personal email (I'm out this evening - going to try and see this eclipse away from the blasted cloud! :hello2: ) or give me a call on Monday in the office - number is 0117 927 9009 - ask for S@N editorial office.

Cheers,

Will

Sure Will, I was mulling a few things over last night in work funnily enough. Nothing groundbreaking, but I think theres a lack of 'intemediate' level articles, nothing too heavy but things that the beginners the magazine has attracted over the last couple of years can move onto.

I was probably unfair on the SN article, I did quite enjoy it (I'm not just saying that) but when I finished it I came away with the feeling that I'd looked at some nice pictures but hadn't really picked up anything major I didn't already know. I appreciate its tricky where to pitch these articles and that S@N is pretty focused on attracting beginners.

Archived