Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All the Planets in One Night

kerrylewis

Yes - managed it again!

The promised clear skies were slow in coming last night so I just set up my Grab 'n Go option - the 100ED on the PortaMount. Started with Venus, of course, now not only a beacon in the SW but showing the  way to Neptune. Still some skittering clouds which acted as a neutral density filter occasionally. This was good for Venus but no use for Neptune. Sky Safari confirmed where the distant giant should be in relation to its warmer cousin and in clear patches there it was in the same field using the 14mm ES eyepiece. What a contrast! The dim blue dot alongside the glaring semicircle of Venus. I was able to confirm the disc of Neptune by moving the bright Venus out of the FOV and upping the magnification. Two down!

Mars was quite obvious to the upper left of Venus and showed its small red disc in the scope. Star hopping to Uranus was a bit more difficult. There were still some thin clouds and the moon was rising. But with the help of binoculars I positioned the scope into the right area and there was that triangle that I saw a few days ago with Uranus as one point and a nicely matched double as another. Upping the magnification confirmed the greenish disc, slightly larger than Neptune. 

So that was the evening's haul, would the skies be kind in the morning?

Got up at 6.45 to clear skies but a veil of cloud was slowly creeping over from the west. Jupiter nice and clear in the scope with three moons on one side and some good detail on the planet. I didn't hang around though  - I had to get on my flat roof before the cloud reached the east. Saturn was easy in the binoculars - it's now quite high at dawn - but I couldn't see Mercury. The cloud had now reached Jupiter and I still couldn't see the elusive inner planet. But suddenly there it was  - barely above the roof tops in the next street and just to the left of a chimney! But it was quite bright and unmistakable as the planet. In fact both were visible naked eye as the cloud approached and the sky lightened.

So - I did it, and without goto! I feel an odd satisfaction in doing this. Ok, it has an element of trainspotting to it, and I was hardly studying each planet. But I can do that another time. It's marvellous to be able to sweep out from hot little Mercury to the distant icy world of Neptune and all within a few hours. 

Well done Kerry. For me, it involves involves a trip up onto the downs to get a clear Eastern horizon. Did it two years ago with my 10" Dob. Still some of the best views of Jupiter that I have ever had! 

I haven't twigged that it was possible now. Doesn't Saturn come round quickly.

Paul

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

Yes - managed it again!

The promised clear skies were slow in coming last night so I just set up my Grab 'n Go option - the 100ED on the PortaMount. Started with Venus, of course, now not only a beacon in the SW but showing the  way to Neptune. Still some skittering clouds which acted as a neutral density filter occasionally. This was good for Venus but no use for Neptune. Sky Safari confirmed where the distant giant should be in relation to its warmer cousin and in clear patches there it was in the same field using the 14mm ES eyepiece. What a contrast! The dim blue dot alongside the glaring semicircle of Venus. I was able to confirm the disc of Neptune by moving the bright Venus out of the FOV and upping the magnification. Two down!

Mars was quite obvious to the upper left of Venus and showed its small red disc in the scope. Star hopping to Uranus was a bit more difficult. There were still some thin clouds and the moon was rising. But with the help of binoculars I positioned the scope into the right area and there was that triangle that I saw a few days ago with Uranus as one point and a nicely matched double as another. Upping the magnification confirmed the greenish disc, slightly larger than Neptune. 

So that was the evening's haul, would the skies be kind in the morning?

Got up at 6.45 to clear skies but a veil of cloud was slowly creeping over from the west. Jupiter nice and clear in the scope with three moons on one side and some good detail on the planet. I didn't hang around though  - I had to get on my flat roof before the cloud reached the east. Saturn was easy in the binoculars - it's now quite high at dawn - but I couldn't see Mercury. The cloud had now reached Jupiter and I still couldn't see the elusive inner planet. But suddenly there it was  - barely above the roof tops in the next street and just to the left of a chimney! But it was quite bright and unmistakable as the planet. In fact both were visible naked eye as the cloud approached and the sky lightened.

So - I did it, and without goto! I feel an odd satisfaction in doing this. Ok, it has an element of trainspotting to it, and I was hardly studying each planet. But I can do that another time. It's marvellous to be able to sweep out from hot little Mercury to the distant icy world of Neptune and all within a few hours. 

That's a great report Kerry, and an inspiration to many no doubt!

I listened to a radio programme a number of years ago, in which a group of birdwatchers in the very north of Scotland had their scopes and binoculars trained on a tiny Brown dot in a field. They were literally buzzing with excitement about this rarely seen little visitor. All of a sudden, a report came to them by radio that a blue billed ozeltwozel (I made that name up!) had been spotted somewhere near the south coast. Everyone rapidly packed their instruments away, jumped in their vehicles and headed south. On arriving they immediately aimed their high quality scopes at this new visitor, only to see a brown dot in a field, but they were extatic! I can relate, as I'm sure many can on SGL, to nutters like that. They are my kind of people!

It would appear you are now officially an astro tweeter! Brilliant! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike

Looks to be still possible (if this cloud would stop plaguing us, last night was the first clear one in a week); Mercury may need binocuoars though. Mars just seems to have been hanging around at dusk for ever. It's funny how if it lines up right (moving north while the Sun is at the southern solstice) it can "escape" being lost in the glare, while at other times it goes ages without being visible.

In January it might also be possible to see all our visible 1st magnitude stars in one night too. Fomalhaut (which now sets just over 1hr after sunset) may well need optical aid, but the rest of them come easy (I caught Antares on the morning of Jan 5th). Altair is currently visible at dusk and dawn, to add to the challenge. To get them all plus all the planets would be great, give us a chance weather.....

Archived